[request] paste mutiple files option

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
Helen

[request] paste mutiple files option

Post by Helen »

First a major request. Because this behaviour is not currently available, I always have to open a windows explorer to do it. :cry:

I wish there was an option as to what happens when you paste multiple files into a folder. Currently it happily pastes them all in, and if some are copies, the original file stays, and the one getting pasted in gets renamed with "Copy" at the end.

What I need is the windows explorer behaviour. I want to paste in a bunch of files, and as soon as it hits one that already exists, it stops and asks me "This file already exists, do you want to REPLACE it?" It gives two 'yes' choices, one is just 'Yes' for the single file, and the other is 'Yes to All'. If I click 'Yes to All' it REPLACES all files that are being replaced by what I am pasting in. This is the behaviour I most need.

Not all users want this of course so could an option be made available - file paste behaviour, something like 'make a copy' or 'replace'.

Second, a minor request. I don't use tabs, I use multiple instances. But it still draws a single tab above my list, consequently wasting a whole strip of space across the top of the page. I wish that single tab wasn't drawn, and that space would collapse and be utilized.

Thanks very much.
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: [request] paste mutiple files option

Post by David Erceg »

About the tab bar, see Tools->Options->Window->Always show the tab bar.
shootist

Re: [request] paste mutiple files option

Post by shootist »

As to your first request.
I am using the latest nightly build of E++ and when I copy or move some files to a folder that contains files of the same name, actually they are the same files I copied them to another HDD then reselected them and moved/copied them back into the original folder, I get the normal Windows dialog box that give me 6 options.
Move and replace or Copy and replace
Don't Move or Don't copy
Move or Copy but keep both files
Then a check box to "Do this for the next X conflicts"
Then I have the Skip button to skip that one file and the cancel button to back out of that action.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit but I think I get the same in XP Pro.

Could be a setting you checked outside of E++ that is causing this.

I do know that when I download the nightly builds and place them in the same folder as older nightly builds, when I'm running XP Pro, the nightly build get a (1) after the name. I have to manually delete the (1) in the file name for it to pop up a window asking if I want to overwrite the file.