Sort by Date Modifled, list files first

Ask any support questions here
charlie

Sort by Date Modifled, list files first

Post by charlie »

When sorting the tab by date (Date Modified descending), is there a way to list the files listed first?

It seems to list the folders first even if they are older than the files. I am trying to get the newer files at the top, which is the way Explorer seems to work.

cheers

-c.
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: Sort by Date Modifled, list files first

Post by David Erceg »

Folders will always appear first in the current stable build (1.3.2). The behavior has changed in the nightly build (so that switching between ascending/descending will move the folders to the top/bottom). I may or may not change it back before it becomes part of one of the stable releases.
Demonkunga

Post by Demonkunga »

David Erceg wrote:Folders will always appear first in the current stable build (1.3.2). The behavior has changed in the nightly build (so that switching between ascending/descending will move the folders to the top/bottom). I may or may not change it back before it becomes part of one of the stable releases.
I think it might be best to make that an option instead of one way or another. I know some people like having their folders mixed in with their files and some like having the folders come at the top or bottom.
jorgk3

Post by jorgk3 »

Excuse the possibly silly question. As far as I can see, folders still sort first.

So has an option been created to change the sort order? It would be nice to allow the same behaviour that the Windows Explorer 7 has, that is, sorting files first when sorting by date descending.
topbanana

Post by topbanana »

So happy to stumble across v1.4! Been using Explorer++ for years and years.

Coming from 1.3.5, when in details view and sorting by date, the folders now appear at the bottom when sorting decending date! EEEEEEEK!
My workflow nequires me to sort new files into the folders above... Now i'm unable to do this as the folder in question has a lot of files in it... that now requires a lot of scrolling :-( There are many other reasons the folders at the top works well for me... I can't personally think of a reason i want them at the bottom...
It's fine having this as a feature, but please have this as an option in settings. We all have reasons for wanting it either way.

But it's been behaving a certain way for literally years, and now it's changed, which is a pita. And the reason most of us are here using e++ is because Microsoft did exactly the same, they just changed the behavior of Windows Explorer to the oposites and then didn't give us, or removed the options to change them back to the original (mostly more logical) behaviour... Luckily e++ saved us! We got our tree branches back! etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
Please expand out the Tools - Options dialogs to include option switches when changing the behavior of e++, then you'll absolutely keep everyone happy! :-)
mekd

Post by mekd »

That's exactly why I went back to 1.3.5.
I need my folders on top.
topbanana

Post by topbanana »

mekd wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:58 am That's exactly why I went back to 1.3.5.
I need my folders on top.
I'm tempted to too.

But hopefully a simple option will be included... Then EVERYONE will be happy.

I can see why some people may want it... File manager behaves like this currently... But since i've used E++ for so, so , so long, date sorting folders to the bottom just seems like the bewilderingly weird thing to do!
Whist they're at it, if they include the other option of the MacOS style of mixing folders into the files, they'll keep another group very happy to!
topbanana

Post by topbanana »

Please add an option to restore E++'s original behaviour!
We've spent years living with it keeping the folders at the top!!! Please don't desert us old-timers!

My workflow is severely spannered with the folders shooting off to the bottom of my huge file listing... It just doesn't work well!

Please!
topbanana

Post by topbanana »

Do we know if this feature is down to be restored?
(as an option)

Having folders disappearing alllllll the way to the bottom with my workflow is devastating still!