Clipboard Text use UTF-8

Ask any support questions here
riow

Clipboard Text use UTF-8

Post by riow »

Hi there, could anyone please let me know how to change the format of pasting texts into to a "Clipboard Text" file using UTF-8 rather Unicode?
AllenT

Re: Clipboard Text use UTF-8

Post by AllenT »

riow wrote:how to change the format of pasting texts into to a "Clipboard Text" file using UTF-8 rather Unicode
For some years now, I have been involved with (and ALWAYS use) an excellent text editor out of Russia. Try AkelPad - it handles all formats of text (Unicode, non-Unicode, etc., with/without leading Byte-Order-Marks) and can convert easily. After opening the file, you can save it using any codepage you have on your system. Clipboard text (on Explorer++) is saved as UTF-16LE (no BOM - David, are you reading this?); you can save the file as UTF-8 with/without BOM (your choice). The BOM (Byte Order Mark) is not necessary for most text editors, but is recommended - it identifies the file as UTF-16 LE, UTF-16 BE, UTF-8, etc. and is ignored by any decent text editor.

I recommend the "archive" version (no installer), although the installer works fine. Help file (my creation) is a separate download, but unfortunately does not integrate into the editor. You can integrate it using the toolbar plugin (plugins are available here). There is a very outdated help file for some of the plugins available on the plugin download page, but it covers many of the plugins in detail.
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

A UTF-16 LE BOM is now written when pasting text; the fix will be part of 1.3.5.
riow

Post by riow »

I sometimes use Smartphone to read text files pasted in E++. But those files will not be readable in the phone because of the format saved by E++, unless it's in UTF-8. I'm not sure if UTF-16 can be read.

Thanks for the AkelPad editor which is really a serious text format editor.