Replacing Windows Explorer with Explorer++

Ask any support questions here
WelpUrStud

Replacing Windows Explorer with Explorer++

Post by WelpUrStud »

Hey guys this is my first post. I'm new to Explorer++ and so far love the features. I have downloaded it on both of my computers, a Dell desktop and a Dell Inspiron laptop. Everything works fine on my desktop, including allowing me to fully replace Windows Explorer with Explorer++. On my laptop, it won't allow me to change it. I go to tools + options and when I try to check mark the box for "Replace explorer for all folders (vista and later)" I get this error message,
"Error encountered while changing default manager status. Please ensure you have administrator privileges."

Can anyone help me out? I'm pretty sure I already have Administrator privileges...

Thanks in advance.
Flasher

Re: Replacing Windows Explorer with Explorer++

Post by Flasher »

I get the same message. Very annoying. Wish someone knew what to do. (:
King_Dillo

Post by King_Dillo »

Hi Flasher. I'm new too. Trying Explorer++ today.
Regarding your notebook, can you confirm the account you're using on your notebook has administrator authorities?
Could it be as simple as that? I ran into that issue with the corporate notebook at the office. The geeks in IT won't grant admin authority to me. I might do something drastic, like download and install a better file manager. ;)
Flasher

Post by Flasher »

Hi!

I'm the only user on the laptop so I guess that I have administrator authority.
Flasher

Post by Flasher »

Update: I found a solution.

I placed Explorer++ in C:\Windows and changed the permissions for "Users" to "Full control". I don't know if both actions are necessary but it seemed to help (after having tried almost everything else..)
Misterd

Post by Misterd »

If you are on Windows Vista and up, make sure you run Explorer++ Elevated. (You'll see [administrator] in the Explorer++ windows title)
Otherwise you are running with the User security token.

@Flasher:
By changing the perms to C:\windows that way you've just made your installation more vulnerable.
raw

Post by raw »

Run explorer++ as administratr and try. Worked for me.