Using Explorer++ on WinPE 64 bit

Ask any support questions here
jshapiro

Using Explorer++ on WinPE 64 bit

Post by jshapiro »

I stumbled upon Explorer++ while searching for a portable file explorer that could work under WinPE 3.x 64 bit. While it does launch, there are some issues, and I wonder if they can be easily solved.

1. The Folder View (left pane) doesn’t work at all. It comes up blank. This isn’t the end of the world though, because I can still drill into folders on the right.

2. Copying/Cut and pasting files doesn’t work. Although the file seems to cut, the paste option is grayed out. The workaround is to bring up a second Explorer++ instance and drag and drop. Or, I can drag and drop between tabs. It sure would be handy to get this working though.

Because Explorer++ is so portable, it seems like it would be a perfect tool to integrate into WinPE.
sroghen

Re: Using Explorer++ on WinPE 64 bit

Post by sroghen »

By far the best file explorer for WinPE and I have tested a lot.

I confirm the issues above. Can the dev provide some answers or workarounds?

Thx
BlueBearr

Re: Using Explorer++ on WinPE 64 bit

Post by BlueBearr »

I know that this is a very old topic, but I found a solution to this and just had to post it:

On your WinPE disk, create a Desktop folder for the user profile being used. For example, on my WinPE, the value for %USERPROFILE% is 'X:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile'. Just create folder 'X:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop' before launching Explorer++. This will fix both the Folder View problem and the copy-paste issue.

If you want to avoid creating this folder each time you boot, you will have to mount the boot.wim file and add the folder there.