Updating Explorer++

Ask any support questions here
grayghost2

Updating Explorer++

Post by grayghost2 »

How do I update Explorer++

I cannot find an update -- only the new version

Is there an updater version ?

Is there an auto update setting ? I cannot find one.
pseudo555

Re: Updating Explorer++

Post by pseudo555 »

I don't think there is an auto-update feature.

I generally quit explorer++, unzip new version in the explorer++ folder and relaunch it.
grayghost2

Post by grayghost2 »

@ pseudo555
Thank you for your response, especially as a fellow traveller with Explorer++

My question was badly composed (in haste and annoyance with bugs in Explorer++ that are never rectified).
It should have read:-
Will the new version of Exp++ over-write an old version or should I clean install the new-version ?

Exp++ potential is excellent, but the bugs have turned me off it.
I have reverted to WinExp with Classic Shell, incl some custom buttons script-files on classic-shell toolbar.
Not perfect but less annoying than having to quit every open Exp++ window before I can disconnect a USB devices (using "USB Safely Remove" to force release).

Refresh bug in Exp++ has been the biggest turn off.

I will give the newest version of Exp++ a try, but if refresh bug is still alive I will dump Exp++ and kiss my donation of $25 good-bye

Thanks for your interest and generous reply :)
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

As pseudo555 said, you can just unzip the new version and copy it over the old version.

The nightly build does have the ability to check for updates, but I'm not sure when that functionality will show up in the stable version.
Not perfect but less annoying than having to quit every open Exp++ window before I can disconnect a USB devices (using "USB Safely Remove" to force release).
This is something that's been reported on and off for sometime, but I always have trouble reproducing it. If you open Explorer++, insert the USB drive and then try to safely remove it, does it succeed? Alternatively, if you open a tab, navigate to a folder on the USB, then close the tab does it work?
Dodle

Post by Dodle »

I can confirm the "Safely remove..." bug. I am using Windows Vista SP2 64-bit. If I plug in a USB device and browse around in it with Explorer++ it will fail when I try to execute "Safely remove". This occurs whether or not I am currently browsing the device or have changed directories or closed the tab. Explorer++ appears to lock the device.