Crashing In Windows 10

Ask any support questions here
MotoTom

Crashing In Windows 10

Post by MotoTom »

I'm running Explorer++ (x64) on my x64 Windows 10 Home installation. More than half the time when I right-click an item, Explorer++ crashes. It almost never did this with Windows 8.1.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
theoldfarter

Re: Crashing In Windows 10

Post by theoldfarter »

I have just started to use the program and I also am experiencing the same crash.
Windows 10 Pro x64
Explorer ++ x64 v1.3.5.531 (64-bit unicode build) Build date 03/02/2013
Never used a previous version, first time user :)
opened Explorer++, In the pane, I right clicked and the crash happens.

Any idea when a fix is likely?

Just read about sending a dump file, so will be doing that in a few minutes.

Dump attached to an email and sent to David, as requested.
dmacd

Post by dmacd »

Found a 'temporary' fix. Right click on the Explorer++ executable. Select 'Properties'. Go to the Compatibility tab. Turn on Compatibility Mode and choose Windows 8. It runs Explorer++ as if it's in Windows 8. Seems to fix the crash (for me at least).
theoldfarter

Post by theoldfarter »

dmacd wrote:Found a 'temporary' fix. Right click on the Explorer++ executable. Select 'Properties'. Go to the Compatibility tab. Turn on Compatibility Mode and choose Windows 8. It runs Explorer++ as if it's in Windows 8. Seems to fix the crash (for me at least).
Thank you David, it works for me. I will now continue trying out this product.

Edit: found that after carrying out the above instructions, that one must right click the exe and choose to run as administrator and the crash does not happen.
If one just left clicks the exe and then tries a right click in the pane, it will crash.

So, be the admin each time :)
timrush

Post by timrush »

Running 'As Administrator' was the only way I can get around the crash. Setting to run in compatibility mode does not help.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit system.
John_T

Post by John_T »

I realize this is quite an old thread, but it's got a fair bit of google juice for this problem, so I thought I'd post an update.

As detailed on this github thread, having Microroosft Onedrive running seems to cause random crashes, certainly when right clicking, and occasionally at other times. I don't use one drive, so I simply uninstalled it, and have had no issues since.

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise, 64 bit. Using Explorer++ portable 1.3.5.531 from PortableApps 15.0.2