New version coming!!!

Ask any support questions here
favotext

New version coming!!!

Post by favotext »

I found the greate application several months ago and I like it very much;
but it seems that it has some bugs and no new version comes out for a long time.
Fortunately, the author makes the project be open source; so that I made some improvement and fix some bugs.
Here is a summary of my modification, hope you like it:)

New Features:
1. Not display zip file in tree folder view;
2. Add option to show disk volume on "Drive Toolbar";
3. Add option to "Reuse the opened tab":
if you has opened a folder in a tab and you try to open the same path from another tab; it will switch to the opened tab instead of opening a new tab of the same path;
4. Add "Show System files" menu item;

Bug Fix:
1. Bookmarks cannot be displayed on "bookmark boolbar" sometimes;
2. Some other bookmarks bugs;
3. Some bugs related to "Tab preview window on taskbar";
4. A bug of related to folder size;
5. Not add duplicated items to navigation history;

Change:
1. Remove the close button from tree folder view;
2. Remove the close button from tab bar;
3. Change position of display window;
4. Remove some menu items of the context menu for "Application bar" and "Bookmark bar";
5. Change position of Address bar;
6. Change the rules of "Customize color" to case insensitive;
7. Remove option "Show tab at bottom" and "Always show tab"
The tab will always be shown and it will always be displayed on top in the special version;

You may see a new menu item "Flat View" was added, but it has not been implimented yet.

At last, you can download the source file and executable file from here:
http://www.favotext.com/explorer++.html

BTW, "FavoText" is my personal software, you can try it if you are interested in it:)
chumley

Re: New version coming!!!

Post by chumley »

Thank you!! The bookmark fixes are greatly appreciated. I like your changes except for removal of the close button from the tab bar, and removal of the option to "Always show the tab bar". Personally I liked those options.

Is your build based on the 1.3.5 source, or the latest code in github? I don't see a fork by you in github, so just wondering. If you put your code in github then others can contribute.

A couple of bugs to report, using your build 1.5.0.0 on Win7 x64:
- Clicking the down arrow on the right side of the address bar shows an empty list instead of showing the available subfolders.
- Enabling/Disabling the Drives toolbar in the View menu causes the vertical scroll bar in the tree view to be lost. It seems to stay lost until the program is restarted.
- The option to "Show system files" does not work. If that option is enabled in Windows Explorer, then the system files show in E++. If disabled in Windows Explorer, then they do not show in E++. The option in E++ doesn't seem to have any effect. This issue is not unique to your build though. The official 1.3.5 release build behaves the same way. Just thought I'd mention it since you went to the trouble of moving the "Show system files" option to a new location.

A few wishlist items:
- A 64-bit build would be greatly appreciated.
- The close button on the tab bar was useful, since it provided a single-click method for closing tabs. I'd actually prefer to have the option to display a close button on each tab, rather than the single button for all tabs. For an example, look at Notepad++, which provides an option to "Show close button on each tab".
- It would also be nice to have a small "new tab" button shown to the right of the rightmost tab, like many web browsers do.
- It would be nice if auto-refresh of icon overlays could be improved. This is particularly important for people who use tools like TortoiseSvn or TortoiseGit. Currently the list view will sometimes auto-refresh, sometimes it needs a manual refresh via F5. Currently the tree view will only refresh is you collapse and re-expand the tree. See xyplorer for an example of an program that does it automatically (if the option to show icon overlays is enabled).

Thanks again for your work!
favotext

Post by favotext »

Hi chumley,
Thank you for your advice.
I'll fix the first two issues.
About the 3rd issue, I think it should work on Win7 or later.
The option "Show system files" is based on "Show hidden files",
which means you need check "Show hidden files" firstly and then check "Show system files" to show system protected files.

For the feature request, I'll focus on icon auto-refresh firstly.
doomcake

Post by doomcake »

Hey! ,well done for releasing this new version.
Nice to see someone is giving it some much needed attention. :)

What is the other program/s on your site ?

Have you called your version Favotext ?
glibglob

Post by glibglob »

thank you, this so needed someone working on it. it is my favorite, simple, compact file explorer. please continue bug fixes but please please please, 2 things i desperately desire are to remove icons from the tabs (so pointless) and to have a max tab size, with truncated folder names if need be and/or possible. thanks.
favotext

Post by favotext »

doomcake wrote:Hey! ,well done for releasing this new version.
Nice to see someone is giving it some much needed attention. :)

What is the other program/s on your site ?

Have you called your version Favotext ?
"Favotext" is a text editor like NotePad++, but it's not free, welcome to try using it.
BTW, I am planning to release a lite free version. :D
favotext

Post by favotext »

glibglob wrote:thank you, this so needed someone working on it. it is my favorite, simple, compact file explorer. please continue bug fixes but please please please, 2 things i desperately desire are to remove icons from the tabs (so pointless) and to have a max tab size, with truncated folder names if need be and/or possible. thanks.
Thank you for your advice, I'll consider to add some options for this.
doomcake

Post by doomcake »

Two questions:
Is there an option to make it default explorer ?
Can you release a fully working x64 build ?

When i first saw Explorer Plusplus i thought it was the best looking one i've seen for a long time.
It reminded me of winxp explorer ,i've never liked win 7/win8 explorers.
It's sad that development stopped ,I suppose it takes a lot of work to develop it ,so keep up the good work favotext :)
favotext

Post by favotext »

doomcake wrote:Two questions:
Is there an option to make it default explorer ?
Can you release a fully working x64 build ?

When i first saw Explorer Plusplus i thought it was the best looking one i've seen for a long time.
It reminded me of winxp explorer ,i've never liked win 7/win8 explorers.
It's sad that development stopped ,I suppose it takes a lot of work to develop it ,so keep up the good work favotext :)
1. Yes, you can set it as the default explorer in "options"=>"General" page;
2. Is there any issue to run the x32 version on your x64 OS?
OnlineHandle467

Post by OnlineHandle467 »

:o An updated version of E++????? Well yay!!

I posted some suggestions on E++ but never saw them implemented:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1751&p=4649#p4649
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1123&p=3659#p3354
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1202&p=3653#p3653

Seeing those close buttons on tabs be nice too.

I do have one quick question, does it work on W10 without any issues? I was kind of thinking of upgrading tonight, but I have hated Windows Explorer since after XP and always used E++. The interface is too clunky and messy. I have just read people having issues clicking in E++ on W10 and wanted to see if that is a current issue with your release or not.

Thanks.