Alternatives to E++?

Ask any support questions here
OnlineHandle467

Alternatives to E++?

Post by OnlineHandle467 »

I hate to post this, but I wanted to find out from others what people have been using. I see two of my posts have yet been answered, and modded versions E++ is not fully fixed/tweaked from what I reported.
In the meantime, is anyone using anything just as good? I tried a few, but the thing that bothers me most is the renaming of multiple files differ than E++. I have tried FreeCommander XE, MultiCommander, and Q-Dir. They are a bit bulky and load longer, and I really do miss E++ working properly (just coding has been wiped from my own internal memory to assist).
So I wanted to see what people have been using as Alternatives in the mean time.
:?
Thanks, all.
dilosec

Re: Alternatives to E++?

Post by dilosec »

Besides Explorer++, I also use Tablacus Explorer (google is your friend!) - TE has a small (.exe) footprint 341KB (32bit) 408KB (64bit), is portable (no installation required) and highly customisable (I have not tweaked the default settings much!), is based on Windows Explorer (slightly yuk!) so not as rich in features as the file managers you've listed (TE does not have a multiple files rename feature!), but it is speedy, has tabbed interface, interesting add-on support by javascript language (besides the default add-ons, I've installed a handful more to customise TE to my liking), language translations (English + 8 others), unicode support and TE is open source...
dilosec

Post by dilosec »

I've also found Double Commander (again google is your friend!) to be useful (have configured it to my liking) - DC is inspired by Total Commander, the most recent release by developer was earlier this month! PROS: multi platform open source file manager featuring two panels, tabbed interface, speedy and quite useable, configurable options, and it does have a multi files rename feature. CONS: still in beta, code written in pascal, and most recent exe has big footprint of 7.8 MB!
OnlineHandle467

Thank you for those suggestions. Yes, Google is one of many tools, but it does not replace asking people for personal experiences on a product we all already share using (E++). I am just not going to try every piece of software out there, with fake reviews from paid people to post. I like to ask people who I am with in one community about their ideas.
As far as these products, I have never seen them in a search engine result before (because of how I search for items probably). I will try these programs out.
The best parts for me with E++ are the way it renames multiple files in one batch with the numbering method the way it keeps items in correct numbering (1, 2, 10, 13, 100....), is lightweight and loads normal, and able to use tabs. One issue I have with it now is that it will not open a folder if I, say, click on a shortcut on the desktop.
I will give your suggestions a try, thank you.
chumley

Post by chumley »

I tried a few others and these were the ones that I liked best.

XYplorer:
https://www.xyplorer.com/
It's commercial software, but there is a time-limited demo as well as a feature-limited free version. Only available as a 32-bit application, which can cause some hassles dealing with 64-bit shell extensions.

MultiCommander:
http://multicommander.com/
This is free software, but not open source. 32 and 64 bit builds are available.

Both of these file managers support tabbed and dual-pane browsing, are more complex and feature rich than E++, and are actively maintained.

E++ has the benefit of being simpler and more familiar to Windows Explorer users.
minc27

Post by minc27 »

Hi
Konvertor is a free alternative, tabbed, dual-pane browsing, displays 3D, images, videos, texts, archives, plays music and convert 4000 different formats.
http://www.logipole.com
BelozerovNiple

Alternatives to E

Post by BelozerovNiple »

Wow Thanks a million..and I thought I was doing great finding two or three alternatives to adsense..I am going to have a look see..Have you ventured through the whole list to see what looks promising or not? It would really be great to see a review put next to all these:
KeangDavid

Post by KeangDavid »

Check this site out http://alternativeto.net/software/explorer/.
I'm always surprised at what they have alternatives to.
OnlineHandle467

I am actually going to post my opinions on some of these shortly that I have tried.