[Solved] Screen updates very slow

Ask any support questions here
SteveBondy

[Solved] Screen updates very slow

Post by SteveBondy »

Hi all,

I've been using explorer++ for several years and love it. Recently I've started having this strange problem where screen updates take a ridiculously long time. For example. in the attached screen shot, I have opened explorer++ to my local hard drive, and set it to detail view. At first I just see the list of files and folders with default icons. The attached screen shot shows 30 seconds later. The icons for the 3 files have appeared, and one folder sows the details. About 20 to 30 seconds later the remaining file and folder details appear.

If I then double click a folder the process repeats. The more files and subfolders there are the longer it takes.

Is anyone else experiencing this? It only started recfently (like in the past month or so) and only explorer++ seems to have the problem. Windows explorer works just fine. I'm wondering of it's some other update or program causing interference, but damned if I know which one.

I'm running Windows 7, 32 bit. When the problem started I was running E++ 1.3.4. I've updated to 1.3.5 (the build from recent sources) and it's the same.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Attachments
E++Screen2.png
E++Screen2.png (116.09 KiB) Viewed 5015 times
Last edited by SteveBondy on Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveBondy

Solved: Screen updates very slow

Post by SteveBondy »

For what it's worth, and in case anyone else encounters this, I seem to have found the culprit.

I downloaded Tablacus Explorer to try it out as an alternative to Explorer++ because this issue was driving me crazy, and Tablacus was also slow updating the folder lists. This led me to suspect an explorer shell extension as the likely culprit. So, I downloaded ShellExView and looked at what extensions were updated recently. It turns out that Dropbox was updated around the time the problems seemed to get really bad. I disabled the dropbox shell extensions and everything seems to be fine now.

Steve