Source of values for column headings? Edit author, title, ?

Ask any support questions here
JonEP

Source of values for column headings? Edit author, title, ?

Post by JonEP »

Hi,

This is just a question about where the values come from that are used as column headings. I'm trying to sort a folder that has pdfs and jpgs, and am looking for values that could be used as column headings.

For JPGs, I note that while the file properties > details shows a title and subject field (in the description column), an authors and date acquired field (in the origin section), these values don't seem to be displayed by explorer++.

Could anyone suggest values that could be used as column headings that could be used to sort a collection of jpgs and pdfs?

Further, is it possible to use explorer++ to write and/or edit those values?

Is there support for any xmp or iptc values in explorer++?

Thanks!
Jon
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: Source of values for column headings? Edit author, title, ?

Post by David Erceg »

The title, subject, author, keywords and comment columns get their data from the SummaryInformation alternate data stream. I'll update these in a future release, so that it will be possible to view the authors metadata for a jpg, for example.

The camera model, date taken, width and height fields should all work for jpgs. There are no specific columns for pdf files, but the general date modified, size type columns can still be used.
Further, is it possible to use explorer++ to write and/or edit those values?
Unfortunately not, but it may be possible in a future release.
Is there support for any xmp or iptc values in explorer++?
No, but may be possible in the future as well.
JonEP

Post by JonEP »

xmp values would be particularly useful--as I understand it, they can be used with JPG, PDF and other files, and would thus be very useful for organizing folders full of different file types. Thanks.
Mathrius

Post by Mathrius »

Hello, is there any progress regarding this topic? In case there will be support for XMP/ID3 and other Windows file-details compatible tag-formats sometime, could there be also support for the older file-summary/ADS tag-format which is used by Windows XP for some file-types? And maybe an option to choose which one should be used (e.g. for MP4- or other mediafiles). (Additional info at my related TechNet-thread.)
Mathrius

Post by Mathrius »

Or is this impossible at the moment?
Mathrius

Re: Source of values for column headings? Edit author, title...

Post by Mathrius »

Looks like the current Nightly Build (32-bit) is able to read-out this kind of data. Could you please add the fields for Source and Version/Revision Number to the optional choosable details?
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

Could you please add the fields for Source and Version/Revision Number to the optional choosable details?
Sure, if I can find a way of retrieving some revision information, I'll display it ;)
andyd

Post by andyd »

Hi. So, it appears that the "subject" field of pdf files doesn't show up. It does in Windows7 however.
I use metadata to organize my pdf files (scientific papers). In XP I used to use the comments field. This got killed in Windows 7, but happily it was still visible in Explorer++. However I cannot write anything in this field any more. The subject field IS able to be edited, from the pdf viewer itself. But the data doesn't show up in Explorer++ :( Any suggestions? Thanks