Ask any support questions here
kiwifagan

Use on a Server

Post by kiwifagan »

I am testing this app on a W2012R2 server and note the following:

a. Hidden disks are displayed in Explorer ++ e.g. C: and other hidden drives
They are hidden on Windows Explorer & Cubicexplorer - as they should be
Can these be hidden in Explorer++ ?
b. I need to be able to lock down the app. as I don't want / need users accessing "locked drives" or modifying the setup
Are there lock down options in this app. that I haven't found ?

Is this app. really intended only for desktops - which is OK, just need to establish its intended usage

Many thanks for reading

Terry
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: Use on a Server

Post by David Erceg »

Hi Terry,

Generally speaking, yes, the application is aimed at regular desktops, but it can be used elsewhere.

For the first item, it should be doable, depending on exactly how the drives are marked as hidden.

For the second, the application makes no attempt to prevent access to particular items, or stop users from altering settings. My view is that it's better to restrict access to certain folders by setting the appropriate permissions on the folders. That way, Explorer++ won't be able to access them, even if it wants to. You can stop users from permanently altering settings by using a config file and marking the file as read only, though that will also stop the list of open tabs from being saved.

It would probably be better if Explorer++ had the ability to be configured by something like group policy, but unless someone in an enterprise environment wants to contribute code for that, it's probably not going to happen :)
kiwifagan

Post by kiwifagan »

Hi David,
Thanks for the reply.
We are using Tsplus as our RDP application, and this hides the drive; which isn't shown in Windows Explorer with Tsplus running.
Quote: " it should be doable, depending on exactly how the drives are marked as hidden."

Is this something that can be done currently - if so how (pse) ?

Thanks
Terry
mberthe

Post by mberthe »

Hi David,
If you would like to understand this "Hide drive" option, you can check this page: https://carlwebster.com/how-to-hide-add ... -a-server/
This is a policy with a binary value to hide drives from RDS Users.
Regards