Remember icon layout on reload?

Ask any support questions here
unsorted42

Remember icon layout on reload?

Post by unsorted42 »

Whilst it's possible to place icons within a folder with Explorer++ without any sorting, upon reopening the folder or hitting refresh the default sort is applied and any custom icon layout is lost. There was a post in 2009 asking for this feature, but so far it does not seem to be implemented. Is this still in the "to do" list or has it dropped off? There is a registry fix that allows you to do this with Win7 explorer, but there appears to be no way of getting it with Win10 explorer, so an alternative file manager which does this would be appreciated by many (online windows forums are full of complaints about this).

The original thread is at explorerplusplus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=211.

Can we have this ability added please? :)
raulray

Re: Remember icon layout on reload?

Post by raulray »

Hello, well I'm looking into doing the same thing. Did you ever found an answer ?
unsorted42

Re: Remember icon layout on reload?

Post by unsorted42 »

Alas, no. I've looked elsewhere and continue to do so, but nothing. Around 10 years ago the developers here promised it would be in a future release, but there's nothing listed in "planned future features" so I expect it's been ditched. At this stage the only 'solution' is to use windows 7 with the relevant registry patches to fully disable auto-resort. That of course means having to live with an unsupported OS with no more updates other than MS' monthly malware check, so you have to periodically manually update certificates. I have some hope for another explorer replacement, xplorer2, which is payware. After shelling out some money the developer has put it on the future to-do list and there is already a limited ability, but you have to go to the menu and save the layout each time you make a change (gah!). Plus there is a big limitation since xplorer2 only opens one folder at a time. Having more than one xplorer2 folder open is possible, but very fiddly.

It's not even the autoresort on reload that's the worst part ... if you are working on a file and it autosaves or you manually save a draft, that also triggers autoresort in windows10, so you have the frustration of trying to find the freaking file. YET AGAIN.