How do I make a specific folder display a certain layout?

Ask any support questions here
ninetalescommander

How do I make a specific folder display a certain layout?

Post by ninetalescommander »

Alright so I know the question may look confusing so I'll give an example; In Windows Explorer, I can manually set specific folders to display in specific layouts. For example; My Default choice of file viewing is "View: Large" with "Sort By: Type" however there are some specific files that I have set to "View: List" and "Sort by: Date Created".
The problem I'm having is whenever I set a file to be a specific layout, it doesn't just do the folder I pick but every single folder that way. So far the only workaround I've found is to make separate tabs with specific file layouts but that's too awkward, I'd much rather pick a layout for a file and it just stays that way like in Windows Explorer.

Is Explorer++ able to do this? If not, I think this should be a feature added in the future.
Edgar5

Re: How do I make a specific folder display a certain layout?

Post by Edgar5 »

At least in version 1.3.5, there is code which seems to be a start on this (but it is unfinished and does not seem to be working). I created my own version of this - I use the registry to store information related to each folder which Explorer++ has opened then, upon opening the folder it examines this information and sees what was the last preferred settings (icon style, sort order & group type). I spent months getting this working then use it for a while, but ultimately found that I more often wanted something different. Another drawback is, at least for me, folders rarely contain a single type of file; so saying "if a folder only contains this type of file open it using this style" would not work.