SOLVED=> 'Error: could not register class'

Ask any support questions here
smallhagrid

SOLVED=> 'Error: could not register class'

Post by smallhagrid »

Just registered here - very glad this fine tool has its own active forum !!

Since I so desperately miss the REAL, original file manager, I was delighted when someone pointed out Explorer++ to me - but=>
Explorer++ 1.3.5 will not open for me, sadly.

I am using windows 7 ultimate SP1, 64 bit.

The error message is:
'could not register class'

Explorer++ will not open/run no matter how I try it;
I even tried older versions to see if they worked better, but got the same 'could not register class' error no matter what.
Seems like that error dialogue box is a property of Explorer++ too, because searching on it brings unrelated results, none of which show that exact message.

Any helpful replies will be hugely appreciated as it seems this tool really has no equal.

Thanks.

PS:
I also emailed David directly at the email in the readme file, but since I used yandex email for it - which is not allowed by this forum - it may not be able to reach him.
Last edited by smallhagrid on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
smallhagrid

Re: Error: could not register class

Post by smallhagrid »

A tiny bit of info to add while waiting for any visibility or response(s) here...
Since I also use Linux, I tried this wonderful s/w under WINE & it runs perfectly that way - just not on w7.

Thanks.
smallhagrid

Post by smallhagrid »

So glad to see that my query has become visible here !!
(I did not get any email about it though, so I've just been watching & hoping...)

Also, since it is complaining about needing to register something (?), this makes me wonder if using the installable from here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2856
Could possibly fix that error.
I hesitate to try it only because it takes over from the OS's own explorer so it could also possibly result in even worse problems.

So, if by some miracle someone here may recognize the specific error I've been stopped by and tell me how to get past it - that would be a wonderful gift !!!

Thanks.
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

I can't reproduce this; opening Explorer++ 1.3.5 on Windows 7 Pro SP1 works fine for me. Does the same thing happen when you use the latest dev build (you can obtain that from https://ci.appveyor.com/project/derceg/ ... /artifacts)?
smallhagrid

Post by smallhagrid »

Thanks for responding David !!!

The link you gave here - in 3 different browsers - just got to a thing with three pulsating dots - and there it stayed ??

Please help ??
smallhagrid

Phew...finally.

Post by smallhagrid »

No idea what caused/causes this error & failure, but finally there is some better news to share:
Just for the heck of it, got the beta & tried that when I was using that spare box to test a few things - and it worked perfectly - no errors that I have yet seen.
A great relief & now I have the fix for replacing that nastiness which win7 explorer has become.

Thanks !!
k5hum

Re: SOLVED=> 'Error: could not register class'

Post by k5hum »

Anyone have success running EXPLORER++ under Linux WINE? If so any tricks? I just get errors. Thanks Mike K5HUM@ARRL.NET