Search function doesnt work

Ask any support questions here
LLCoolL

Search function doesnt work

Post by LLCoolL »

Is there anyway to get the search function to work? Does it need to catalogue the hard drives? Or does there need to be a setting switched on somewhere?
mike hitz

Re: Search function doesnt work

Post by mike hitz »

I can affirm, something is amiss with the search feature:
Exp++ seems to have a mind of its own with the search feature. I have search problems with a certain file, a .docx, nested a couple folders deep in a subfolder but the problem does not repeat for other similar files. It will not find this file if I use the root of my USB as the directory to be searched but if I search a subfolder, one level closer to the file, it will find the same nested file. OR If I search the root of the USB for a different similarly nested file, it finds it OK. I have Case Insensitive and Seach Subfolders both checked. The docx file was recently added to the USB today. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. Also it is not isolated to this one file, it happens with other files too. Seems random. I'm not sure if Windows indexing has to be turned on for the USB in order for Exp++ search tool to work.
Last edited by mike hitz on Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
FOAPIDocx

Post by FOAPIDocx »

Hi All,

First post here, tho I have LOVED E++ for years.

Just wanted to pass along some of my experiences (recent and not-so-recent) with the Search function:
  • @LLCoolL: Search should "just work". No cataloging necessary, nothing needs to be enabled.
  • Some time ago (months, at least) the old version of E++ that I was running (1.3.5.531 64-bit unicode) stopped showing the Search box on my Win 10 machine. I suspect that the window is opening offscreen, as others have suggested. (I probably moved the search box while hoteling on a different monitor setup than my usual one.)
  • I tried hiding the config.xml and I also tried running in non-portable mode to get it to ignore the config.xml, neither of which worked. Perhaps the inopportune placement has been saved to the registry. I don't know enough to want to muck around there.
  • I was able to work around the problem by downloading the .msi for a recent build (Explorer++ version 1.4.0.1932 dev (64-bit build) Build date: Aug 14 2022 22:55:55) and installing to the default installation location C:\Program Files\Explorer++. The new version looks great and seems to be faster, too! (Or maybe I am just worn out from having to deal with slow search in Win 10 file explorer for so long :D)
  • My old version was "installed" by simple drag-and-drop to a different folder location, so it is still around and still not showing the Search dialog. Now that I have a functional search again, I am interested in learning a bit more about a less-blunt fix to the problem:
    • Can I delete an element from config.xml to force all windows to a default position of upper-left corner of the main screen?
    • Since hiding the config file did not work, I suspect that the bad placement of the Search dialog is also in the registry - can I delete or edit a value that would force all windows to a default position?
    • I have not yet managed to save off a new config.xml (for some reason it is not being written, even tho I switched to "portable" mode) but when I do, I'll try diffing against my old config.xml to see if I can answer my own question and post that info here.
      UPDATE: When I diffed, the <DialogState name="Search" ...> element looked like it might have suspicious PosX/PosY values so I copied the same element from config.xml for the new install, which shows the Search box successfully. Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem.
Thanks again for this great software, and I hope this post is of some use to others who may be dealing with a "lost" Search dialog.
Last edited by FOAPIDocx on Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
spritsamsung

Post by spritsamsung »

I experience the same issue. I do not, however, use beta.
The lack of the same application is the problem. The Explorer++ window never displays when I try to run the software; instead, I see the usual Windows wait cursor for a short period of timegeometry dash lite.

Oddly enough, up until today, everything was in working order. I had no issues last week when I signed off of my computer for the last time.

Utilizing the 22H2 build of Windows 11 Professional