default file manager

Ask any support questions here
jackspade

default file manager

Post by jackspade »

i want to set explorer++ as the default file manager but vista doesnt have the option to change the folder association like xp did, under folder options (not that i can see anyways), how can i do it in vista? other explorer replacements allow you to do this
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: default file manager

Post by David Erceg »

There will definitely be an option to do this in the next version of Explorer++. Until then, you can set Explorer++ as the default file manager using the following method (only reccommended if you are comfortable with regedit):

1. Open regedit, and navigate to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
2. Create a new subkey under shell, and name it something like Open_Explorer++ (any name is fine, as long as it doesn't contain any spaces). In the default value for this key, you can enter the text you would like to appear on the folder context menu within Explorer (in the screenshot below, "Open Explorer++" is what would appear on the context menu).

3. Now, create a subkey under Open_Explorer++, and name it "command" (without the quotes).
4. Set the default value of this key to be something like:

"C:\Explorer++.exe" "%1"

(with the quotes). Obviously, the first string should hold the path to wherever you have placed Explorer++.

This will allow you to open a folder using the "Open Explorer++" item on the context menu.

If you want to set Explorer++ as the default file manager, navigate back to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell, and set the default value to "Open_Explorer++" (without the quotes).

Now, Explorer++ will be the default file manager.

A few notes:
- This method only works for real folders. That is, opening a virtual folder will cause Explorer++ to jump to its default folder (i.e. "My Computer")
- To remove Explorer++ as the default file manager, simply set the default value for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell to be an empty string
- To remove the "Open Explorer++" entry from Explorers' context menu, simply delete the key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Open_Explorer++
jackspade

Post by jackspade »

thank you for your timely and helpful response, it worked great!
GaryVand

Post by GaryVand »

That method only works partially for me. Winkey+E brings up Windows Explorer. It is only when I click on a drive letter within Windows Explorer that Explorer++ starts up. How are you guys invoking the default file manager? Is there a way to make Winkey+E work?
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

Hi Gary, the method here simply ensures that Explorer++ is activated when you open a folder. To make WinKey+E launch Explorer++, you can use a tool such as AutoHotkey.
TheArkive

Post by TheArkive »

In regards to using AutoHotKey, I can get LWin+E to open E++ by using this line:

Code: Select all

LWin & e::Run "C:\Program Files\Explorer++\Explorer++.exe"
This works just fine...

or this line:

#e::Run "C:\Program Files\Explorer++\Explorer++.exe"
This works too, but it doesn't distinguish the difference between LWin and RWin.

Both of those lines are global and function regardless of what window is active.

========================================================================

As far as the reg trick, here's an easier way to do the same thing. A cool free program called "Types".
Link: http://types.sourceforge.net

1. Type "folders" in the drop down menu and click the "sprocket" icon.

... a new window opens ...

- Type "Open_Explorer++" (without quotes) in the top edit box.
- Select the path of E++ in the lower combo box.
- Press the green "plus" icon.
- The entry appears in the lower list box.
- Close the program
Image Image

This doesn't replace the need to set the Default value of this key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
to "Open_Explorer++" (without quotes)

In VIsta, it works but there's a slight problem. The "Control Panel" and "Windows Update", and other windows in Control Panel, don't open properly when this registry trick is applied. But everything else works great. I like this method because I'm in the habit of clicking "My Computer" (in XP) or "Computer" (in Vista) to get to my drives and folders. But since I can't seem to access the Control Panel or Windows Update any other way, I'm stuck just using a shortcut of E++. But it's not a huge deal.

I'll add this to the Feature Request forum. Hopefully this option to fully replace Explorer is do-able, minus those "specialized" windows. E++ is by far the best file manager I've seen. Light-weight, and good important features! Thanks!
Core2Man

Post by Core2Man »

Man, I registered now just to thank you for this advice and Explorer++ in particular. You're doing a great job, thank you!
rfm12

Post by rfm12 »

David,

This is an old thread, so I'm wondering how much of it still applies. I've designated E++ the default file manager, and most of the time it is. But if I click on a folder on my desktop, for example, I still get Windows Explorer in Win7. Do I still need to do the registry hack you mention above? I'm not so concerned about having E++ appear in the right-click menu, but I would like it to be the default as much as possible when I click on a folder, even if not for virtual folders.

Incidentally, in your first post above, several lines say "Image," but no image appears.

Great app, by the way.

Thanks,
rfm
jmaton

How to remap WinKey+E via registry (Windows Vista/7/10)

Post by jmaton »

Use notepad to create a text file named something like "remap_winkey-e.reg"

Paste in these lines (if you put Explorer++.exe somewhere other than c:\bin, then change that part below.)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{52205fd8-5dfb-447d-801a-d0b52f2e83e1}\shell\opennewwindow\command]
@="C:\\bin\\Explorer++.exe"
"DelegateExecute"=""
Save it.
Double-click it, answer yes to the warning about modifying your registry.

Press WinKey+E to test it out!
Last edited by jmaton on Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
rfm12

Post by rfm12 »

Didn't work for me in Win7.