portable 1.2 not as friendly as v1.0.0

Ask any support questions here
mangodurian

portable 1.2 not as friendly as v1.0.0

Post by mangodurian »

not sure, if it's to do with the versions i have installed, but the v1.0 i am running as portable, i have pinned to my taskbar, and when i open it (on windows 7), i still see only one icon on my taskbar. if i have several tabs open, i see just one icon for the whole application on my taskbar. I really like that it works this way, as i don't want my taskbar cluttered, and i am happy that when i click on the icon, it just opens up with one click, to exactly how i left it.

Now I downloaded version 1.2 from portableapps, installed it, and pinned it to the taskbar. but now, when i click on the application icon on taskbar, a second icon appears (cluttering my taskbar), and if i have several tabs open, i see there are several iconslayered one behind the other, and if i click on the icon, i then have to click one more time to choose the tab i want, i much prefered the old way, and have returned once more to v1.0. any way to make v1.2 work the way 1.0 did?
twinsen

Re: portable 1.2 not as friendly as v1.0.0

Post by twinsen »

Thats strange, I haven't seen that behavior on two of the win7 PCs I've tried.
They just have a single icon and it works as expected.

But I tried a live win7 which has an "XP looking" start menu and taskbar, and it has that strange behaviour you described. Theres no way I could put up with that strange behaviour, I'm lucky it doesn't happen on the other computers.

Are you using a modified theme? If so could you revert back to the standard win7 orb + taskbar and see if the problem is still there? Unfortunately I can't revert the live win7 I have. Setting Taskbar buttons "Never combine" seems to fix the problem, but that then may have an undesirable effect on other programs.

I tried the "Never combine" option on another win7 pc with the default orb etc, and it didn't look very nice. It makes the taskbar look more like XP without grouping. But this PC doesn't have the bug, it has pages of explorer++ tabs and no stacking in the icon at all, compared to an app like notepad where the icon stacks to a maximum of 3 no matter how many notepads you open (and it looks nice, compared to the bad look of the xp theme).