Enhanced Search Dialog

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
Edgar5

Re: Enhanced Search Dialog

Post by Edgar5 »

For bulk renaming, I use PFrank, but it is no longer developed nor supported. I've not found any real bugs but there's at least one enhancement that I would like to see. I just grabbed RenPhoric and will give it a look.
Edgar5

Post by Edgar5 »

I zipped up just the .C++ & .H files plus the contents of the Res folder (I've made a few changes to the images) and added the Release executable to play with. BE WARNED: this executable will drastically modify your current registry settings for Explorer++! Backup your Registry before experimenting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/drug9d3fq7nl7 ... 5.zip?dl=0

Also be aware, I have limited use of my hands and arms so I don't type on the keyboard or use a mouse. Everything is driven vocally using Dragon NaturallySpeaking, KnowBrainer and AutoIT3. Because of this I have re-spelled many things.
#define THISISANEXAMPLE 123
becomes:
#define THIS_IS_AN_EXAMPLE 123
because the first has to be laboriously dictated letter by letter and the second can be easily dictated as an single phrase.
When I read through a section of code I take the time to reformat it to my liking.

Code: Select all

BOOL Something:: (void)
{
	DECLARATION
	INT x = 0;

DECLARATION
	INT y;

y = someValue;

Statement

Statement

if (…)
	{
	}
}
becomes:

Code: Select all

BOOL Something:: (void) {
	DECLARATION
	INT x = 0;
	DECLARATION
	INT y = someValue;

Statement
	Statement
	if (…) {
	}
}
In general, any place there are extraneous blank lines I eliminate them. I make exceptions when there are variable declarations which I always separate from the following statements (where possible I always put assignments in the declaration blocks. I also take the time to change some variable names if they conflict with the exact same variable name in use in a similar class, or if they are obscure.
Something * m_pS;
might become:
Something * m_pSomething;
or even:
Something * mSomething;
as I tend to not like the "m_p…" style (and I use the "p" prefix to denote function parameters).
Edgar5

Post by Edgar5 »

There are a few issues which made the existing Search Dialog sub-optimal for me. The final ones for me are the ability to manipulate the "found" file(s) (especially deleting them), operating on multiple selections and having keyboard shortcuts. Here's what I have now:
Search Dialog 3.png
Search Dialog 3.png (59.33 KiB) Viewed 5111 times
As you can see, I have added two keyboard shortcuts (open file location & rename) via the context menu and 2 buttons at the bottom (Select All & Delete Selected). It would probably be more traditional to give this dialog a real menu set and put these items into their appropriate menus but I felt that this approach was more user-friendly.

As a minor bit of information enhancement I gave the Status message an update; it now shows how many items are inspected during the search.

You can now perform any action on multiple items (e.g. select more than one items and delete [permanently or to the trash bin], rename [via the new new renaming Dialog] or open them).

As usual, anyone who desires it is welcome to a copy of the source code.