Three must have features/improvements

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
igusev

Three must have features/improvements

Post by igusev »

I haven't tried 1.3 beta, but anyway:
1) Search dialog should be able to search by content of a file
2) Icon. It looks like standard Explorer icon. You could add "++" on top at least ;-)
3) It should be possible to view content of any file, regardless of its extension (F3 in FreeCommander/TotalCommander)
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: Three must have features/improvements

Post by David Erceg »

1) Search dialog should be able to search by content of a file
Planned for the future.
2) Icon. It looks like standard Explorer icon. You could add "++" on top at least
Adding ++ on top of the logo doesn't sound like too bad an idea actually!
3) It should be possible to view content of any file, regardless of its extension (F3 in FreeCommander/TotalCommander)
I haven't seen this feature before; is it simply a hex/text viewer?
pmshah

Re: Three must have features/improvements

Post by pmshah »

My thought is a little different.

If the dµmb MS furnished Explorer can display contents of pdf and text files in proper format then why can't Explorer++ ? It does displays video and image files perfectly. Just create an addon or a registry key.

What I have found to be extremely useful is Everything from voidtools(dot)com for displaying all kinds of file formats. For displaying every kind of text based files, =.srt, =.inf, =.reg, *.bat, *.btm and others just run the following command

reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.au3 /v PerceivedType /t REG_SZ /d text

Simply replace .au3 with desired file extension. Works with Explorer, too.

To search for file with specific content or some part of the file name then Copernic Desktop Search is the perfect tool. If you manage to find/get version 2.0 then it is fully functional AND free. Initially it will take a while to index everything on the PC in background but once it is done then it is extremely low resource consuming AND real time updating. It updates indexes only when CPU utilisation drops below user set threshold.