A Few Usability Suggestions

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
Gav80k

A Few Usability Suggestions

Post by Gav80k »

Explorer++ is very good and is for the most part a pleasure to use. However, there are a few times when it doesn't do what I want it to so I had a few suggestions that would improve the usability:
  • Add an option that makes the new tab toolbar button always open with the default folder. Presently if you have a folder selected it will open that folder in a new tab rather than the default folder. As such I regularly find myself opening random folders in a new tab when I actually want the tab to open with the default folder.
  • Add a "Give new tab focus" option so that when you middle click on a folder to open it in a new tab the new tab gets focus.
  • Add alternative Back and Forward toolbar buttons without the dropdown arrows. I never use the drop down lists but sometimes click the arrow by accident when I intend to click back, so an alternative button without the arrow would be nice.
  • Add the option to remove the "Address" label and Go button next to the address bar. They’re both pretty redundant and just waste toolbar space, plus the address label looks odd when you have your address bar on the same line as your toolbar.
  • Add option to go to the default folder when you close the last tab. It’s faster than creating a new tab and closing the current one or going to a My Computer bookmark.
Thanks for listening to my suggestions and keep up the great work with Explorer++.
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: A Few Usability Suggestions

Post by David Erceg »

Add the option to remove the "Address" label and Go button next to the address bar. They’re both pretty redundant and just waste toolbar space, plus the address label looks odd when you have your address bar on the same line as your toolbar.
The Go button has already been removed in the nightly build. The address label will probably be deleted at some point as well.
Add option to go to the default folder when you close the last tab. It’s faster than creating a new tab and closing the current one or going to a My Computer bookmark.
Sorry, I don't think it would be useful.
mganderson

Post by mganderson »

I am also a user of Explorer++, this is a great product, it sure beats Win7 Explorer.

I have a request for usability, add a feature to "Automatically Expand Current Folder" when you open Explorer++. This ties into the request above.

Thanks
koki

Post by koki »

Add option to go to the default folder when you close the last tab. It’s faster than creating a new tab and closing the current one or going to a My Computer bookmark.
Sorry, I don't think it would be useful.
pity that there is no such option in the program
Asdqwe12

Post by Asdqwe12 »

This is similar to the QTTab option whereby you can merge currently opened explorer windows into one, tabbed interface.
I love, love LOVE Explorer++ over all other options I've come across (free options) but I would love to see something similar to this feature.
The biggest thing I love is the simple "re-open previous tabs" - why do other options not have this?! It's so awesome!