Batch Rename

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
rojaep

Batch Rename

Post by rojaep »

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw batch rename functionality but as it wasn't very intuitive (Didn't fully know what the /F meant), I followed the standard Q-dir way of renaming when it suffixed the new string to all filenames. From the forums I heard of the /E option, and now when I revisit I see the black arrow for more options....wasn't obvious initially.

Anyway, David mentioned about Undo being able to undo the renaming, but it just toggles on the first filename reaming.
So I have to now manually those files one by one...could add a warning/hint here to prevent this happening and frustrating otherwise happy users.

So like others have requested, it would be great if we can have the extension always included by default or even better, configurable.

Again, thanks for the great work !

-Raj
rojaep

Re: Batch Rename

Post by rojaep »

Another request: Since 99% of the time we are renaming images we took at a certain place, can you please default the extension and the serial # ? it is always a pain to remember which slash, and caps E and N etc.
Again, hate to revert to crappy stock Explorer for this.
Simon

Post by Simon »

It would be more flexible to allow regular expressions for batch renaming too. I tried to truncate filenames (e.g. "filename1.txt" -> "fn1.txt"); for this special case it was possible, but in general the current solution is a bit limited.
rojaep

Post by rojaep »

Well, I guess EP++ is off development and any more improvements, I found a much better alternative in CubicExplorer.
neminem

Post by neminem »

Yeah... indeed. I've been checking these forums and the svn logs pretty frequently in the hopes that I'd be proven wrong, but it does indeed appear that e++ is not being actively developed anymore.

I did try CubicExplorer just now, and... I've got at least as many complaints about it as I did about e++ (in fact, many of the same complaints, most of which I've already posted here over the course of the past year*). But their development at least seems rather more active, so I guess I'll go bother their forum with said complaints now instead. :p

* though there are a couple things that e++ does that CubicExplorer doesn't. Like, not show the tab bar if you only have one tab. Or... not take half a second to open or close a new window.
Randall

Post by Randall »

Try using the Bulk Rename Utility — it will do any type of renaming you can imagine (including, but not limited to RegEx), and can be installed as a context menu item as well …
rojaep

Post by rojaep »

thanks for the link, will try it out, was using File Options to do this instead