Toolbar button for folder size

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
testexplo

Toolbar button for folder size

Post by testexplo »

Hello,
could you please implement a toolbar button to toggle the show folder size option.
Showing folder sizes and changing quickly between folders causes explorer ++ to crash very soon.
So I would like to be able to navigate without the folder size showing, but be able to switch it on when needed without having to go through so many steps in the options menu.
Or a keyboard shortcut would do as well, or even better both :-)

Thank You!
nlcarter

Re: Toolbar button for folder size

Post by nlcarter »

Greetings:

I strongly agree!! I love the Folder Size option.

I work with some remote network drives (SAMBA) which are fairly slow. This means it takes forever to perform the Folder Size queries and this means it slows the system down horribly. Therefore, I'm always going into the Tools/Options/Files and Folders to turn Folder Size option off and on. It would be truly wonderful to be able to leave the option turned off and be able to click on a toolbar icon to have it crunch the numbers for the current folder when needed.

Yes, I know there's an option to disable this on network drives, but that's where I often need this function.

Thanks!!
Janus

Post by Janus »

Agreed, which is part of why I am working on properly integrating voidtools everything into folder size.
I use it to keep track of my system and and my lan.

It has its own database of files, and what I do is query it for a folder, then add up the file sizes.
It is much faster than reading the directory trees.
Also, the author has indicated that the next major revision will have functions to do that automatically added to the sdk.

Once I have the bugs worked out, I will offer the code here.
Right now I am having trouble with detecting everything running, then falling back if it is not.

Janus.
nlcarter

Post by nlcarter »

Sounds quite promising!