Built-in CONTENT search

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
Misterd

Built-in CONTENT search

Post by Misterd »

In XP, Search was "OK".
-not as good as 2000 and 4.0 but it worked
-had to be patient while it searched Zips and Cab files for no reason.
-had to kill the annoying search puppy...

In Windows 7, Searching is totally broken.
-Right-click is disabled by default
-Content search only works IF you flag the folder to be indexed.(the Indexing service must also have a chance to probe your box)
-you have know how to ask it to do content search (btw it's Content:findthis )

If you run Explorer++ on Windows 7, you do get built-in file name search. (Thank you!!)

Could you add Content search of at least text-based files where your DO NOT NEED to index files all the time?
It seems all replacement search utilities need a resource-sucking indexing service to function.
neminem

Re: Built-in CONTENT search

Post by neminem »

FileLocator doesn't index anything, and it's crazy fast, even for content search. I actually purchased a copy (though there's a free version that did most of what I wanted it for) to support the guy. I actually then went so far as to install it on my home computer, which at the time was still running XP, because it was better than XP's, too.

p.s. you know in XP you can get back the Win2k UI with a simple reg key tweak, yes? :p (Sadly it disappeared post-XP.)

(Still, just because other software can take over, doesn't mean any halfway-decent file manager shouldn't also in this case be capable of handling it.)