A few suggestions...

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
Krom

A few suggestions...

Post by Krom »

Sorry if some of these have been posted before, I just found this program while searching for a decent replacement for Windows 7... This is an excellent piece of work, my main suggestions boil down to "The more like XP Explorer + Tabs you can make it the better...".

I checked out the command line options and being able to specify a few directories is nice, but it could use just a little more kick:
With windows explorer you can throw a shortcut with "explorer.exe /e /root,C:\Downloads" to open a new window in C:\downloads and treat it like the root folder. E++ could use the ability to set folders in its configuration and treat them the same way (see how windows explorer in XP implements the /root command for what would be the best implementation). When launched as root the tree view only shows the selected folder and its subfolders, none of the higher folders or drives are shown. Useful if you use a particular folder and its subfolders a lot, but want to keep the tree view as uncluttered as possible.

Middle clicking/control+click opens in a new tab.
Shift+click opens a new window.
Right click folder ---> open in new window.
(including from bookmarks) just like most internet browsers behave would all make nice additions.

An option to set the default size and location of new windows would be a plus, like say 800x600 on monitor x or at x&y location. Right now you can get it to behave that way by storing its settings in an XML, placing the window where you want, set to the size you want, with the folders you want, then closing E++ and making the settings.xml read only. So no matter what you do with the window, change its size, close/open tabs and navigate around once you close and re-open it; everything goes back to the state you saved when you set the config.xml to read only.
Actually the way it behaves when using with a read only config.xml is awesome, relaunch the program and it forgets all the changes you made and shows up exactly where you expect it with the folders and tabs open where you want in the order you want. Of course the only annoyance is if you actually want to change something permanently you have to unlock config.xml first. :lol:
It could be better if you could store the different groups of folders and window size/location/tab defaults in some sort of profile you can trigger from the command line (like a command line option to load/create an xml file other than the default settings.xml). Right now I get several different E++ windows to load with different folders and tabs open that I drag and drop files to and from a lot by using multiple shortcuts to E++ in individual folders with separate config files all locked to start the way I want so you are 99% there already.

Lanudry list of things from Windows 7 / Vista Explorer that I think are actually worth keeping as options but aren't a priority:
Hide the menu bar.
Tree view expands and centers the current folder.
Bar graphs in system showing the amount of free space on each drive.
Suppress empty drives.
While renaming files, tab advances the cursor to the next file.
When creating a new folder, you can type the name immediately without having to hit rename first.

That's about it, if I think of anything else as I use the program I'll update the thread, thanks for this great program.
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: A few suggestions...

Post by David Erceg »

Thanks for the suggestions Krom! I won't comment on everything, except to say that some of the smaller features you mentioned are done in the development version, with most of the other features planned for a future release. If you have any other features you'd like to see, don't hesitate to let me know :)
Krom

Post by Krom »

Cool, thanks. I look forward to future versions, keep up the good work. :mrgreen:
riow

Post by riow »

Thanks David for Explorer++ which I've just tried and I feel good to it. May I add some more suggestions?
  • 1, relocate bookmark buttons in bookmark toolbar
    2, bookmark icon in bookmark toolbar use original folder icon
    3, Explorer++ program icon is a little mixing up with Windows Explorer icon in appearance
    4, use traditional shortcut Ctrl+D to delete a file rather than to add a bookmark
    5, allow merging toolbars into one row of toolbar
    6, speed up reading a large folder which is now a bit slow
    7, allow drag and drop a picture from Google Chrome into Explorer++
Great work and keep it up! :D
WLackey

Post by WLackey »

I really have to second Krom on this:

>>With windows explorer you can throw a shortcut with "explorer.exe /e /root,C:\Downloads" to open a new window in C:\downloads and treat it like the root folder. E++ could use the ability to set folders in its configuration and treat them the same way (see how windows explorer in XP implements the /root command for what would be the best implementation). When launched as root the tree view only shows the selected folder and its subfolders, none of the higher folders or drives are shown. Useful if you use a particular folder and its subfolders a lot, but want to keep the tree view as uncluttered as possible.

I would like to see this feature implemented so that the user could designate a root folder for each tab, and the tab would remain locked to that root folder (and the name of the tab be locked to the root folder, as well), and only that root folder and its subfolders display in the tree view when that tab is selected.

If this feature is available, I couldn't find it (I note the suggestion was made several years ago). When I saw the 'tab lock command, I hoped this is what it did, but I was disappointed.

Nowadays hard disks hold so many files and folders that the folder tree becomes a real hassle to navigate (and that even if I periodically go back and unexpand folders I've used.)

I really like E++, but have switched back to Windows (7) Explorer because I can accomplish something similar to the 'root' command with the explorer 'libraries'.

I second the numerous requests for a dual pane view option, as well.
tnshibu

Post by tnshibu »

Firstly I like to thank you for the excellent software. I started using it just today.
Few of my suggestions....
1> In the "Help->About" it is mentioned as "Freeware". May be you can change it to "Free and Open Source Software". The reflects the true nature of this software.
2> On first run of the explorer++.exe, it is better to ask if the user wants to store the settings in registry or XML, with the default being XML. That makes it portable in the real sense.
3> An 'X' icon on each tab to close that individual tab

Thats all for now.
Regards
Shibu
Misterd

Post by Misterd »

An 'X' icon on each tab to close that individual tab
FYI: You can middle click on a tab to kill it (Just like FF)
Adding an 'X' icon would limit the number of tabs you can have and may confuse some people thinking the X is part of the tab's name.
Benno

Post by Benno »

Adding an 'X' icon would limit the number of tabs you can have and may confuse some people thinking the X is part of the tab's name.
Not if the 'X' Icon only pops up if you hoover over the tab-to-be-closed and if the icon colour is not black but e.g. red. The 'X' can just overlay the tab-text (at the right) so it does not need extra space on the tab itself.
Just as simple as with Firefox :)
I would also very much appreciate such an enhancement !

Benno (newcomer and very enthiousiastic about Explorer++) :D