Suggestion: clickable address bar

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
Garabedian Nikidal

Suggestion: clickable address bar

Post by Garabedian Nikidal »

Hello !

I want to start by sending David a huge thank you for this excellent Windows Explorer replacement !

After switching from xplorer² lite, the only real feature I find myself missing a lot is the possibility to go back up any number of levels in my current path by clicking a section of the address bar.
Here's how it looks in Windows Explorer:

Once you start doing it that way, having to go to the Up button in the toolbar seems more cumbersome. I kinda feel disoriented every time I need to switch folders. Besides, it allows to go back up several levels with one single click. Less clicks is better, right?

It could even be done like for instance in xplorer², which keeps a plain text address bar, but also displays the path just below the tab bar, making each level a clickable button:
This is probably easier to program and still provides the desired feature.

In my opinion, the fact that it's located near the file list is important, because I generally realize I'm not in the right folder when I'm browsing the file list. Going to the toolbar feels like a long way up and left.

Maybe this feature could be used to balance the "Folders" title above the tree on the left, like in this decoy:

Anyway, thanks for your time, and thank again for your great work.