Move Search to Current Window

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
ipkpjersi

Move Search to Current Window

Post by ipkpjersi »

Hello,

I am hoping that the search functionality can be improved. I do like how when you crtl + f you get to search and then you get the results in a details view window which is nice. However, what I want is to be able to do is ideally have the search results moved to the current window so you can sort through them easily and also change the view type from details to thumbnails and other view types.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. Take for example this window: http://i.imgur.com/acEmsyG.png

I can type firefox into the Windows Explorer search bar and then have the results show up in the current window, and also be able to change the view type of the results: http://i.imgur.com/p4ZHzDx.png

If you could add this as a feature, that would be amazing. I would be willing to donate money if it would help encourage development of this feature as I certainly do not want to undervalue your time as I understand how valuable a developers time can be.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Edgar5

Re: Move Search to Current Window

Post by Edgar5 »

I've been playing with this and have made quite a few changes in line with your requests. Still have lots more to do…
[attachment=0]Explorer++.png[/attachment]
Attachments
Explorer++.png
Explorer++.png (99.29 KiB) Viewed 5653 times
Janus

Re: Move Search to Current Window

Post by Janus »

I have been experimenting with replacing the built in search with a call to open voidtools everything.
I am already using it for folder sizes, especially on my lan, and it is far faster than letting explorer++ look everything up on disc.

Still working on making the code fall back to the old way if everything is not installed.

Once I have it stable, I can post it here as an option to be considered.

Janus.