Favorites / Drives / Quick Access as panel not just toolbar

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
djsilver

Favorites / Drives / Quick Access as panel not just toolbar

Post by djsilver »

Love many of the features in Explorer++ and would like to switch over but the inability to set 1-click shortcuts in a panel form is stopping me as that behavior is such a useful feature to me.

See the "Quick Access" panel on the left from the following screenshot:

The "Quick Access" panel provides a great blend in that it shows some recent folders that have been opened, but it also lets you pin folders and rearrange their order. I detest the Explorer++ favorites bar across the top of the window because my mouse cursor almost never goes there, and it is so much easier to read down a list than across a bar. I can also have a long, scrollable list of shortcuts in a window panel which can show more items at the same time, is more effecient than a bar when showing text labels, and it's easier to scroll down than the Explorer++ method of having to go all the way to the right of the favorites toolbar and click the expansion arrow which then creates the bettor list-style presentation.

Please make the "favorites" be a panel that you can put on the left side of the window, or even re-arrange/float. Notepad++ does this exact thing with the Doc Switcher and Function List and it is clearly a superior method for presenting file/folder shortcuts. In fact, implimenting the panels like Notepad++ would be flawless!
rjc

Re: Favorites / Drives / Quick Access as panel not just toolbar

Post by rjc »

I just downloaded Explorer++ and it looks like a great replacement for Windows Explorer. However, I also make extreme use of the Quick Access feature, so I need some alternative that works in a similar way. If it were possible to create folders in the Favorites toolbar and then put favorites in those, that would solve the problem for me. That's exactly how I organize bookmarks in Firefox. In fact, that would probably be an improvement over Quick Access since the one thing that annoys me about that feature is that fact that I have to scroll the folder list to see the QA links - I'd really prefer them to be two separate things.
Lou Sigety

Post by Lou Sigety »

Ditto: Miscrosoft's Quick Access functionality is sorely missed here. In fact it would be best if you simply interfaced to the File Explorer's Quick Access data so that we won't have to recreate it when moving to Explorer++.
OzMerry

Post by OzMerry »

I've only just discovered Explorer++ and it's great! But I'd like to add my vote for inclusion of Microsoft Explorer's Quick Access option, which I use every day. Right-clicking on a folder/file in Explorer++ includes the Pin to Quick Access menu option, but it currently appears to do nothing. Thanks in advance!
Nelno

Post by Nelno »

I'll add my 2 cents here, too.

The lack of a quick access panel is definitely missed. I use this feature frequently to navigate between multiple paths without needing to have a dozen different Explorer windows open.

However, having multiple tabs in a single window solves some of that for me -- I don't need to have a dozen different Explorer windows open. I can leave tabs open to all frequently used folders and switch between them without clutter up my desktop.

I don't see anything equivalent to Quick Access in Explorer++ except maybe bookmarks, but these require navigating to a drop down. When I select to show the bookmarks toolbar, it is empty, even though I have a bookmarked folder.
johnzoet

Post by johnzoet »

You can bookmark a folder. This is effectively the same as a Quick Access folder. In addition you can structure the bookmarks in the hierarchy, for example a folde for books, software, etc.
Screen shot of Explorer++ bookmark
Screen shot of Explorer++ bookmark
Screenshot 2022-03-09 224642.jpg (38.68 KiB) Viewed 52882 times
absentmusic

Post by absentmusic »

The absence of a panel with easy access is something that is much missed. I make regular use of this functionality so that I may move between many pathways without having to have a dozen distinct Explorer windows active at the same timesnake game
gbrownclerk

Post by gbrownclerk »

I'd like to vote for this feature too.
kohli22a

Post by kohli22a »

Please make the "favorites" be a panel that you can put on the left side of the window, or even re-arrange/float. Notepad++ does this exact thing with the Doc Switcher and Function List and it is clearly a superior method for presenting file/folder shortcuts. In fact, implimenting the panels like Notepad++ would be flawless! www.routerlogin.net

pikashow apk
Last edited by kohli22a on Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mekd

Post by mekd »

I for one prefer the way the favorites are displayed now (as a bar below the address bar).
If any change is to be implemented regarding the favorites bar, it should be an option to change and not a permanent way of displaying the favorites.
Many of us are using Explorer++ for years with this way of displaying the favorites.