Show "Extension" Column Setting - Set to Exclude Folders

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
BuddhaNature

Show "Extension" Column Setting - Set to Exclude Folders

Post by BuddhaNature »

Just came across Explorer++ and am pretty impressed with it. It has one feature that I really like a lot, it's the capacity to show the extension of a file in the appropriate column of Explorer++. However, if I enable to view extensions in this way I also find that if I have folders that include a "." (dot/period) character in the folder name then Explorer++ interprets that as being an 'extension' and hence shows it as such in the "Extension" column display. For example, say I have a folder named Admin.FinePrint then Explorer++ shows in the 'Extension' column that folder as having the extension FinePrint.

I don't think it should be doing this for folders so would suggest the following improvement on this issue:

(a) Don't show folders with "." characters as having an 'extension' at all. Or. . .
(b) Allow the user the choice.

Hope this helps.
Edgar5

Re: Show "Extension" Column Setting - Set to Exclude Folders

Post by Edgar5 »

I very rarely use this feature choosing instead to "Group By" Type but I agree with OP and would support either A or B (with very slight leaning towards B).
Janus

Re: Show "Extension" Column Setting - Set to Exclude Folders

Post by Janus »

Speaking for myself, I want to see the extension of a folder if it has one.
Showing folder extensions is one of the first things I enabled when I started customizing.
It used to filter out folder extensions automatically no matter what.
I happen to use them, sort by extensions is something I use a lot.

I also disabled a number of other quirks/features that annoyed me.
Of course in my case I am trying to replicate win9x/win2k explorer as best I can.
The only two views I Use are details & thumbnails, the rest worthless to me.

M$ purposely breaking explorer is what made me look for an alternate.
I stayed with XP until I could replicate enough of the good features of its UI to use W7.
Control panel remains broken of course, but classic shell brought enough order to that, that I can navigate it.

Janus