Save icon layout in folder windows

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
Sartre

Save icon layout in folder windows

Post by Sartre »

In Windows 7, it's impossible to arrange icons as you could in XP/Vista because MS has enforced auto-arrange. While you can move icons around in the Explorer++ window, they don't retain their position when you close and open the folder window. I would like to see an option to save icon layout for a selected number of folders (10 would be enough for me). TIA.
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: Save icon layout in folder windows

Post by David Erceg »

Added to my todo list :)
kartari

Post by kartari »

Just found this site and would like to know if this feature has been implemented yet? It's not mentioned in the features list as far as I can tell. I HATE Win 7's Explorer for this reason alone, I'd LOVE to see a return of the full custom file arrangement functionality of Win XP / Vista. And what Sartre said would be awesome too.
kartari

Post by kartari »

I just downloaded it and tried it out, looks like custom file arrangement is not implemented. I am glad to see you can drag files into any order you like, but it would be very useful if Explorer++ would retain that layout permanently (or until it is once more rearranged). Seems to me like half the work is done towards enabling this feature since dragging is enabled (just a matter of saving those file arrangements). A lot of people came to rely on the ability to arrange files and folders as they see fit, an ability removed from Windows 7's Explorer...

In fact, this is a very big complaint about Windows 7's Explorer. I seriously think that if this feature is implemented and announced/advertised, you'd be getting droves of new downloads per day...
evets

Post by evets »

I, too, would love to have this feature implemented! MS really screwed the pooch with Explorer in Win7.
Explorer++ has a been a big help.

You should send MS an invoice. :lol:

Thanks.
ajs

Post by ajs »

This feature seems to be wanted by several people.
I have added it to the list of things to do. It will get in the development build sooner or later.
danham

Post by danham »

Is there any progress on this matter? I'd really like to see this feature implemented.
unsorted42

Post by unsorted42 »

I'm repeating the previous post from 2012 ... is there any progress on this? Is it still in the to-do list?

Recapping .. the ability to not only disable auto sorting (can do that now), but to have a custom placement of icons in a window maintained after reloading that folder or the computer, as requested by the OP. Basically what you can do with Win7 using the registry hack (which does not work with win10). This is an absolutely essential feature for me & until it's available I have to stay with win7.
unsorted42

Post by unsorted42 »

Is this still in the to do list or has it been abandoned?
unsorted42

Post by unsorted42 »

I've spoken to the dev of another file explorer alternative and he indicated that it is possible to have a folder retain a customised layout (viz icon/thumbnail placements) upon refresh/restart, however details on icon positions etc would need to be stored in that folder's ini file rather than in the registry & he would include that ability in the next update .. however that file explorer alternative will only open one folder at a time & there are no plans on allowing it to have multiple folders open simultaneously, so it's not terribly useful (case in point there, I currently have 7 folders open).