10 foot explorer

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
cdb000

10 foot explorer

Post by cdb000 »

Explorer++ is a very nice UI. I use it on my desktop.
I would also like to use it on my big screen TV, but everything on the screen is simply too small.
The feature am requesting is a setting to draw the Explorer++ window at double/triple/quadruple size to allow for easy use on a UHD TV set in a living room.
Edgar5

Re: 10 foot explorer

Post by Edgar5 »

8K monitors are now a reality. I also use large 4K TVs for my monitors and need to change the fonts and icons to be usable. I use a utility (Change Windows 10 Fonts) which gives me the ability to change a lot of the operating system's GUI (similar to what we could do with Windows 7). I have modified Explorer++ to make it completely font and color sensitive. Always happy to share the code and/or the executable.
minc27

Post by minc27 »

Hello Edgar
Yes, please, post your sources somewhere.
Jean
Edgar5

Post by Edgar5 »

In the Support forum I posted the following:
First, especially in regard to Registry settings, my version is drastically different! This is mainly the GUI, a few bug fixes and a few enhancements. David's original Explorer++ relies heavily on storing settings in the Registry; my version follows that lead (at least for now). However, I have changed the spelling on some of the settings (to make it more obvious how the setting relates to the GUI) and added a lot of new settings. My version cleans out the original Registry settings completely (without making any attempt to save them) and re-creates the cluster entirely. I would VERY strongly suggest that you backup your Registry before attempting to run my version! The simplest ways to use the Registry Editor which is built into Windows (press the Windows key and also the R key simultaneously to bring up the "Run Dialog"; type in "regedit" - without the quotation marks - then press enter). From its "File" menu choose the "Export" entry; an export dialog opens. At the dialog's bottom left you will see 2 radio buttons - "Export Range", make sure that "All" is checked. Pick a suitable location for the file (Desktop will work) and use a name for the file which will be easy for you to recognize. When ready, click "Save". Do not do any updates to Windows or other applications or run any other applications after exporting your Registry and testing my version of Explorer++ (running other applications is not too big a deal - on restoring your old Registry you will lose any registry settings that those applications made; updating is a very big deal - don't do it). After testing my version (assuming you want to go back to the original Explorer++) follow the above steps to start the Registry Editor and choose the "Import" entry from the "File" menu - locate your saved Registry file and import it (it would probably be a wise idea to reboot Windows after importing).

A word of warning - this version is designed to run on high resolution monitors (at least 1920 x 1080); at lower resolutions some of the dialogs might be too large to fit the display.

I zipped up the executable and put it on my Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kziwp8ta75hw ... 9.zip?dl=0
There is currently no documentation on my GUI enhancements, bug fixes nor under-the-hood changes.The best place to start is to look at the Preferences Dialog.

I'm currently using Visual Studio 2017 to compile this code (which is based on Explorer++ 1.3.5). If anyone is interested in the source code, let me know; I will post this much larger zip file on my Dropbox.
After "cleaning" the solution to remove some of the unnecessary files, I zipped up the entire Solution's folder and placed it on Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iopx2irn2yi3s ... 9.zip?dl=0
My version has a commandline switch which allows you to completely remove all references to Explorer++ from the Registry. The switch is:

Code: Select all

-clear_settings