Shell Bags (folder settings) just for This PC, Recycle Bin

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
topbanana

Shell Bags (folder settings) just for This PC, Recycle Bin

Post by topbanana »

The details/columns contained in My PC and Recycle Bin (any others?) are very distinct compared to every other folder. Can the layout/view of those two folder be stored completely separately from the normal folder view?
My PC will then always show the way it was last left... as it has completely different columns, that never land up being spaced correctly...
And recycle bin will then also always show the same way it was last left... As it has extra, special columns, such as Date Deleted, Path, etc... I'd love it to always be sorting by date deleted, with the latest deletion at the top... But it is currently never that way.

E++ doesn't seem to remember each folder like File Manager, File Explorer did/does... They store shell bags, views/layouts for 5000 folders i think! One day E++ might get this too? But for now, just having the two weirdo 'folder' always viewing as expected would be excellent!
Janus

Re: Shell Bags (folder settings) just for This PC, Recycle Bin

Post by Janus »

I use Win7, if you are on W10, all bets are off, there is no telling what M$ will do to any program you are running.
F10 {watch the underlines and depressions in the text menu} or Alt-T to start.
Tools->Options->Default Settings->Default Columns->Recycle Bin
The default columns section also has settings for other areas, and should be explored.

Best of luck.

Janus.
topbanana

Post by topbanana »

Janus wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:50 am Tools->Options->Default Settings->Default Columns->Recycle Bin
The default columns section also has settings for other areas, and should be explored.
There's nothing wrong with the columns present.
The above settings aren't relevant.

I'm talking about the column SIZES, the chosen column to SORT BY, and ascending or descending...

E.g. Recycle Bin... i want the default columns to remember the spacing I've given them (as the default is 6 uniform, narrow spacing, which doesn't fit GB, TB values when 'showing sizes in bytes', which E++ allows us to)... And that it to also remember to sort them by the 'Deleted Date', 'Descending', so that the most recently deleted files are at the top.

If the Recycle Bin had it's own separate 'Shell Baggs', then all the settings, columns chosen, spacing, sort order, etc, etc. would be remembered, and everyone will always see Recycle Bin how they left it, every time. Everyone is happy.
Janus

Post by Janus »

Was trying to help, and your description was not clear to me.

There is also

View->Save Column Layout as default

Not sure if that will help either.
I have no problem with it remembering how I set things up.
I am also running my own version with numerous tweaks.
There are things it does by default that I changed/removed.

Sorry if that doesn't help.
There is no where else column widths are stored that I know of.

P.S. Never heard of called shell bags before, still have no idea what that means.

Janus.
topbanana

Post by topbanana »

Janus wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:46 pm There is also

View->Save Column Layout as default

Not sure if that will help either.
This helps a lot!

I'd never thought of saving the layout of My Computer and Recycle Bin.

So this fixes the column layouts, sizes, etc, which was most of what i was after.

The only thing that remains is that the sort by column isn't remembered...
So my request still kinda stands... Can Recycle Bit especially, and My Computer save the Sort By column Direction please...
I'd love to be able to visit Recycle Bit and it always is sorted with by deleted date with the most recent at the top.

Shell Bags is the place where File Manager/File Explorer stores the column layouts, sizes for the last few hundred visited folders, so when you revisit them, they're as you left them.

Thanks.
Rich.
topbanana

Post by topbanana »

Would it be possible to maintain the sort order somehow?
Could E++ maintain its own 'bags' for a few of these special folders?

I just want to go to the Recycle Bin and to have it always sorted by 'Date Deleted', with the most recent on top... irrespective of what i'm doing, sorting by in any other folder.

Thanks.
topbanana

Post by topbanana »

Please, please, please.

Even just for the Recycle Bin.

Can it just remember what it's columns and sort order are set to, completely separately from every other folder.

Every time i go there it's always sorted wrong.

Please.