Remembering Folder View Settings

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
ThatGuy

Remembering Folder View Settings

Post by ThatGuy »

Let me just start off by saying i know its been asked before ( roughly 10 years ago or so i think ), however i have have a bit of a request regarding this.

So i read that the issue was keeping track of this information however instead of using a text file or sqlite db / similar why not simply have a default view mode ( set in the settings like already exists ) then when you change view mode the program would drop a file in that directory to specify how explorer++ is to behave in said directory?

This feature would need to be off by default because allot of people would probably dislike E++ leaving files all over the place, perhapse it could flag the file to be hidden or as "a protected operating system file"?

Either way i have a background in programming myself and im very interested in getting this feature implimented in some way ( if not for everyone at least for myself ) so regardless of interest in implimentation of this feature maybe i could get some pointers where in the source code to start looking? ( specifically the file / section that gets called when you change your view mode, unless thats not the best place to put that? )

Feedback on this idea very welcome
mekd

Re: Remembering Folder View Settings

Post by mekd »

ן second this request. Most useful.
Currently, I need to configure Explorer++ every time I start the program,.
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: Remembering Folder View Settings

Post by David Erceg »

One method that's relevant here is ShellBrowser::EnumerateFolder. That method is called when enumerating a folder and can fail for a variety of reasons (e.g. if the directory doesn't exist). However, past a certain point, the navigation is committed and is guaranteed to proceed (even if there are later issues with retrieving information on a particular item in the folder).

If you look at these lines within that method, you can see that the set of columns is already updated when the navigation is committed (since the columns that are available change based on the type of folder). So changing the view mode and other related settings (e.g. sort mode) there would be reasonable. Either by changing that method directly, or by observing the navigation committed event.

Making those specific changes is fairly simple. The harder part is figuring out exactly how and where to save the configuration data.