[0.9.3.2] Handling of current working directory and . and ..

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
preechaw

[0.9.3.2] Handling of current working directory and . and ..

Post by preechaw »

I think Explorer++ should also take the current working directory and . and .. into account.

Here are my suggestions:
1. If ++ is launched from a cmd window, it should browse the current working directory and drive of the cmd window.
2. If ++ is launched from a cmd window with . (dot) as the argument, it should browse the current working directory and drive of the cmd window.
3. If ++ is launched from a cmd window with .. (dot dot) as the argument, it should browse the parent of the current working directory and drive of the cmd window.
4. If ++ is launched from the Run dialog with . as the argument, it should browse the user profile directory as Windows Explorer does. (If you enter

Code: Select all

explorer.exe .
in the Run dialog, Windows Explorer will browse C:\Documents and Settings\<yourname>.)
Jim

Re: [0.9.3.2] Handling of current working directory and . and ..

Post by Jim »

I think that type of operation would be beyond the scope of the program. Since most people are simply going to use the GUI to navigate folders, these type of features would just add in unnessesary complications.
Just curious, why would you need to lanch a filemanager from a cmd window?
preechaw

Post by preechaw »

When a cmd window is open an active, I will usually type explorer c:\windows instead of minimizing all windows and double-clicking 'My Computer' on the desktop and double-clicking drive C: and double-clicking 'Windows'.

Typing explorer c:\windows saves me movement to use the mouse.

I think many people are fast typists and prefer keyboard than mouse in some situations.
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

Just wanted to say that this has now been implemented.