Remeber Folder Settings

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
rasterinterrupt

Remeber Folder Settings

Post by rasterinterrupt »

Hi.

I've been using E++ for a few months now and I have to say, I'm thoroughly impressed. E++ has completely replaced Windows Explorer for me and I'm amazed by the great tool that David has created.

However, there is one aspect that I miss from the Windows Explorer. E++ doesn't remember folder settings individually, which means that I constantly have to adjust the sort order and column widths.

Ideally, E++ should have the ability to remember the following folder settings on a per-folder basis:
  • Sort column and sort direction
  • Selected columns and column order
  • Column widths
  • View type (icon, details, ...)
  • Group by settings
In essence, most of the options available in the View menu should be remembered. Of course, this would only be an option in the settings. I guess that many people may prefer to have one setting for all folders.

I've looked through the forum and it seems like others have also suggested this feature every once in a while. Is this something that is on the development roadmap for the future, or would it be too challenging to implement?

Regards,
Norbert

Remember window settings
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=359&p=1299&hilit=remember#p1299

Remember Folder Views
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2122&p=5455&hilit=remember#p5455

View Settings for each folder and disable smooth scrolling
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=768&p=2354&hilit=remember#p2354

Remembering Columns Size
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=942&p=2942&hilit=remember#p2942

Column width resets back to default
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=868&p=2726&hilit=remember#p2726
pmshah

Re: Remeber Folder Settings

Post by pmshah »

This is what I wonder about. How come the default screen shown in help is different from the application ? I have also managed to set it as default replacing MS furnished PITA Explorer that keeps crashing and hanging. I am so used to working with details for 20+ years I simply can't stand any other view. In fact even the previous version was better in that respect.

pmshah

Post by pmshah »

I don't know what happened but while trying to or looking to find a way to set columns to fixed width suddenly I saw full range of options visible in dfault options. Simply made my day. Now to somehow get the preview to work like the MS Explorer.
thamesyawl

Post by thamesyawl »

I've also managed to designate it as the default browser, replacing the MS-supplied PITA Explorer that constantly crashes and hangsmini crossword. The default options displayed the entire range of available choices.