Search & Highlight in place...

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
topbanana

Search & Highlight in place...

Post by topbanana »

I'd love to be able to search for a string that then just highlights all the occurrences of it in the current folder, whilst still displaying the original, full file listing.
So a lot like standard File Explorer, but without ONLY showing the matching files. The files are ONLY highlighted, in place, in with all the non-matching files.

E.g. If you have 100 files, all with dates in the filename. If you searched for "2022-10", the 15, say, files that matched would then have the "2022-10" string highlighted (like File Explorer does). All 100 files would still show in the original order.

On numerous occasions, I've wanted/needed to see all the other files around those that match the search results.

Just this would be fantastic.

But to supercharge it, you could have an 'isolate' toggle, that then only displays the matching files, so mimicking File Explorer.
And a second button, 'Select', that would also select those files that matched, so they could be drag-n-dropped or deleted, or whatever...

All of this happens in the normal file list pane, not in a popup.

The existing search popup behaviour is itself fantastically useful for many things. So i hope this is never lost. The requested feature being a 2nd searching method.

Having Explorer++ has kept me sane and productive whilst File Manager, File Explorer has been brutally mutilated and dumbed down. So Thank you! The Dev builds rock.