I sure mis the .. to go up one level

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
Rootman

I sure mis the .. to go up one level

Post by Rootman »

Thanks for Explorer++, I have checked out quite a few Explorer replacements after finally switching from to to Win 7 - what a culture shock - at least as far as the trusty old Windows Explorer is concerned. I've found that Explorer++ to be the finest.

I miss the old .. (go up one level) at the top of the file list. I know the UP icon works but it sure was nice to just move the mouse to the top of the list and keep clicking it to move up.

I also like Grab-n-drag in Firefox to move around a page and always thought it would come in handy in Explorer.

Keep up the good work.
crowhill

Re: I sure mis the .. to go up one level

Post by crowhill »

double-click anywhere on the background of the file list window --> takes you up 1 level

Regards
Ulrich
Rootman

Post by Rootman »

DOH! Works like a charm. Thanks!
allenite

Post by allenite »

Thanks! I registered just to ask this question. Double click makes things so much easier.

Is there also a way to go to any directory in the tree structure, like in the built-in Explorer?
pzaw

Post by pzaw »

Yes yes yes Please
Not exactly ... but a key combo.

I see that if you double click on a blank area in the file list window you actually go to the parent directory.
But this cannot be done if the screen is filled with file listings. It obviously opens that file. It may be different if I set select file using boxes I am not sure or if highlighting the line is turned off.

I am forced to click on the BACK arrow on the toolbar which is ok but it breaks your concentration on the job because you have to look at what you are clicking on the toolbar losing you focus and because the highlight is very pale it is a pain.

As I mentioned in the highlight request the colour is too light for the all white background.
May be a similar or expading the Tools>customer colours to include highlight colours on both files as well as the directory list tree.
Sorry I digress...

So may I suggest may be CTL-<double click> to return/go to previous directory in cases wher the screen is full which is the defauly when we look in a folder most of the time.

pzaw
Janus

Post by Janus »

Speaking strictly for myself, I do miss those double dots.
The doubleclick on open area to go up drives me buts, so I disabled it for me.
I am still working through the code to bring back the .. like I prefer.

If I am able to bring them back, is anyone interested in a self contained source snapshot ready to compile?
I grabbed commit 1200 because my previous one was several years old, and have finally gotten it to compile with VS2015.

Janus.
MaxP01

Post by MaxP01 »

pzaw wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:01 pm Yes yes yes Please
Not exactly ... but a key combo.

I see that if you double click on a blank area in the file list window you actually go to the parent directory.
But this cannot be done if the screen is filled with file listings. It obviously opens that file. It may be different if I set select file using boxes I am not sure or if highlighting the line is turned off.

I am forced to click on the BACK arrow on the toolbar which is ok but it breaks your concentration on the job because you have to look at what you are clicking on the toolbar losing you focus and because the highlight is very pale it is a pain.

As I mentioned in the highlight request the colour is too light for the all white background.
May be a similar or expading the Tools>customer colours to include highlight colours on both files as well as the directory list tree.
Sorry I digress...

So may I suggest may be CTL-<double click> to return/go to previous directory in cases wher the screen is full which is the defauly when we look in a folder most of the time.
pzaw 9apps

The double click you referred to is illusive. ou have to look at what you are clicking on the toolbar losing you focus and because the highlight is very pale it is a pain.
parkinsonsniper

Post by parkinsonsniper »

Is there anyway that I can disable this double click=back feature. As you can see from my user name, I have some troubles on hitting the objects and I keep going back (both in explorer and in my life) :D
roundcubetwo

Post by roundcubetwo »

I must say that I am loving this program. I use AutoCAD all day and often wondered why Windows Explorer didn't have a way to filter what files you see based on what folder you are in. I haven't gotten into this program fully yet, because I have one small (but huge) problem that I can't get over.

In regular Windows Explorer (and AutoCAD, Word, Excel, etc...), Alt-2 is the shortcut key to go up one level in the directory tree. I have gotten QUITE used to it over time. That doesn't seem to be the case with Explorer++. That's not a big deal as long as there is some shortcut key to do the same thing. I can remap it in AutoHotkey. I had to do the same thing for Win+E to get that to open Explorer++ instead of regular Win Explorer. shareit vidmate vidmate app
takeseven

Post by takeseven »