more toolbar buttons

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
M&I

more toolbar buttons

Post by M&I »

Hi,

Several more toolbar buttons would be nice. A button to rename and a 'new file' button (with arrow), for example.

I also noticed that several options some developers made, will not be implemented. I presume some people would make
use of those options. Would it be a good idea to make two programs? A program that is to be a replacement of Windows
Explorer and a program with a lot more features/options. Of course, that would mean you need to support/maintain two
projects.

Still, great job!

regards
AllenT

Re: more toolbar buttons

Post by AllenT »

M&I wrote:Several more toolbar buttons would be nice.
Yah, I'm with you!

I have been involved for a couple of years with a freeware text-editor project (Akelpad) which has an ingenious toolbar: the toolbar is customizable using a rudimentary scripting language, which allows
  • several different commands, one of which can call built-in operations by number. These numbers are the ones associated with menu items; in Explorer++'s case, for example, 40371 = Clone Window, etc. They can be obtained using Resource Hacker, or gleaned from the source code.
  • assignment of icons for toolbar buttons by either using a built-in icon (limited number) or a path (and icon index number, if needed) to an icon file. This allows you to create your own icons, if necessary.
The system is flexible enough to allow nearly every built-in function to be placed on a toolbar button. It might be too much to ask for an extended scripting language (some programs allow this) to create your own actions, but even if we could access the built-in operations, it would be great!
twinsen

Re: more toolbar buttons

Post by twinsen »

+1 for the "New File" button.

I have already added a "New File" action menu item in the version of explorer++ I use (no toolbar button though). I made the shortcut ctrl-alt-N, and it creates a text file called "New Text Document.txt" ready for renaming (exactly like right click, new, text document). I added it because I create files just as often as folders, and unfortunately the new context menu is way too slow (on some pcs, and only the first time you click new). Now its super fast to create files and directories on any pc the first time you open explorer++.

Heres a demo exe:
Note that this version is not official and contains a bunch of other features too (I'd need to create a patch to get it in the official build).
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bertdb/rya ... sen_2.7.7z
It doesn't have an icon yet.