Auto-refresh does not work

Found a bug or something that needs fixing?
neminem

Re: Auto-refresh does not work

Post by neminem »

Heh. I never use libraries, but I have heard, I believe, that e++ has some problems with them, that are hard to fix. So it wouldn't surprise me.

That said, this thread also reminds me that I was going to complain about an instance of auto-refresh not working that I run into far more frequently: the recycle bin. Autorefresh works fine everywhere else I ever visit, but in the recycle bin, I have to hit f5 after moving anything in or out. Quite possibly the same issue, even, but it's a minor pain.
frankey999

Post by frankey999 »

I know that when I create a sub-folder, it does not show up in the left pane, even if I refresh.

The only way I have found to make it show in the left pane is to collapse the tree list in the left pane, then open it again.
OnlineHandle467

Post by OnlineHandle467 »

Am hoping to see a fix to this too.
chumley

Post by chumley »

I'm currently using E++ v1.3.4.485 64-bit on Win 7.

I haven't noticed any problems with auto-refresh except in the following 2 cases:

- If working in a "special" folder like My Documents, then there is a problem with refreshing the tree view in the left pane when a folder is added or renamed. The tree view does get updated when a folder is deleted. When the tree view doesn't update automatically, the only way to force it to update is to collapse and re-expand the parent folder in the tree (pressing F5 doesn't update the tree view).

- When file icons are updated, the display in the right pane does not auto refresh. Hitting F5 does cause it to update. This happens everywhere, not just inside "special" folders. This is easy to see with a program like TortoiseSVN, which changes file icons to reflect the file status. With Windows Explorer, the file icons update automatically.

These are minor annoyances, but it would be nice if they could be resolved since some people encounter them frequently. I don't think either is specific to 64-bit, but I haven't used the 32-bit version recently. Other than these issues, I think E++ is great.
chumley

Post by chumley »

chumley wrote: - If working in a "special" folder like My Documents, then there is a problem with refreshing the tree view in the left pane when a folder is added or renamed. The tree view does get updated when a folder is deleted. When the tree view doesn't update automatically, the only way to force it to update is to collapse and re-expand the parent folder in the tree (pressing F5 doesn't update the tree view).
Found a simple workaround for that! The underlying issue, at least in Win 7, seems to be that the underlying folder name is different than the alias name that is shown in Explorer. For example, Explorer shows "My Documents", but the actual folder name on disk is "Documents". To eliminate the discrepancy, you can go into Windows Explorer (not Explorer++) and rename "My Documents" to "Documents". Now that the alias name matches the actual folder name, the tree view updates correctly.

Unfortunately this doesn't fix the problem with Libraries. If I navigate to Libraries\Documents in E++, I can view the files there but I get an error if I try to rename, copy, etc.
aiolos

Post by aiolos »

frankey999 wrote:I know that when I create a sub-folder, it does not show up in the left pane, even if I refresh.

The only way I have found to make it show in the left pane is to collapse the tree list in the left pane, then open it again.
I'm having exactly the same problem. I doesn't always happen but it's frequent. I delete something (usually a .zip file) and it doesn't dissapear from the tree unless I close the parent folder. Also it would be nice to have an option to not show .zip files as folders.
I'm using win7 x64
grayghost2

Post by grayghost2 »

I am having same problems as " frankey999" (31-March-2012)
Win7 32bit + Classic Shell (oh how I dislike Win7 start menu)

1. When I change folder icon -- does not refresh, must collapse tree to refresh
2. When I move folders or files -- does not refresh, must collapse tree to refresh
3. New folders are NOT auto sorted (settings:= [x] Insert new items in their sorted position")
. BUT when refreshed with F5, left hand nav-pane is not sorted
Before refresh...
Before refresh...
1_Before refresh.png (34.12 KiB) Viewed 255958 times
After refresh..
After refresh..
2_After refresh.png (33.48 KiB) Viewed 255958 times
I don't know if bug [3] has been reported. Should I log it as a bug?
UncleScrooge

Post by UncleScrooge »

It seems that the auto refresh problem is given much more attention in different blogs, than here. Obviously many users skip Explorer++ because of this problem. When I read the changelog, there is no bugfix for this in v1.3.5.
My experience, when used on Win7 64bit was that this bug was very obvious, but I never found out when the auto update worked, or not worked. Now I have upgraded to Win XP so I don't have this or all the other problems, that Win7 causes.
Let's face it, Win 7 is not a usable replacement for Win XP. Installing Explorer++ and the classic shell is a step in the right direction, but you still don't have admin rights when logged on as administrator.
Explorer++ is targeted against Win 7 users, since Win XP has a usable Windows explorer. I have therefore not installed Explorer++ for now.
Perhaps a little efford from the members here could resolve exactly when the auto update problem occurs, and which operating systems are affected.
I can check if Win XP is affected, if needed.....
grayghost2

Post by grayghost2 »

Hello "Uncle Scrooge" + everyone else in this old thread

Looks like we paying customers are being ignored.
This thread is almost a year old and not a mumur from the developer.
But they do like our $$ money :twisted:

I have just found "David Erceg" reply dated November 2011 (back on page #1).
In fairness to David I will trial his suggestion ... "explorer++.exe -enable_logging"
Win7 sp1
Toshiba Satelite, Intel i5 ... what else would you like to know.

I will also attempt to log my three WinXp machines

Bump !!!
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

Keep in mind that Explorer++ is completely free. The site doesn't contain any ads, and while I do receive donations, I'm yet to break even on hosting/domain costs. I'd be happy to work on it more, but the majority of my time has to go towards activities that will earn me a steady income.

At this point, I'd really like to build Explorer++ and the community around it up even further. But, I've been pretty busy with an Android app I created (you can find it mentioned on the home page if you're interested). I've been trying to learn the ropes when it comes to marketing and getting it out there, and I've discovered it's far more difficult than I thought!

Then, I have some improvements I'd like to make to this site, as well as my app-related site. There are updates I'd like to make to both Explorer++ and my app, and there are requests from other people and bugs they'd like fixed. Basically, I'm swamped.

I hope that gives some insight into what's been going on! As for this bug, the more information you can provide, the better.