Auto-refresh does not work

Found a bug or something that needs fixing?
neminem

Re: Auto-refresh does not work

Post by neminem »

David Erceg wrote:Keep in mind that Explorer++ is completely free. The site doesn't contain any ads, and while I do receive donations, I'm yet to break even on hosting/domain costs. I'd be happy to work on it more, but the majority of my time has to go towards activities that will earn me a steady income.
To be fair - while I know some people just think it's ridiculous giving money for anything they can get without having to... I think a lot of people would be more likely to give you money if it didn't seem like the project was basically dead. I went and bought another explorer replacement a while back, for 30 bucks, because it seemed like the closest I could get to having a working (i.e. XP-like) file manager. I really wanted to support e++, but even a couple years ago when I got a Win7 computer and started looking for a replacement, it already seemed like e++ was in a dormant state with some necessary features half-finished. And that's still the impression I get. I still check in every so often to see if it's gone back to active development, but it doesn't seem like it. Which is too bad - the one I bought, in addition to not having source available, also only runs as 32-bit, which causes some minor issues, and does a couple other things I don't like but which the developer states he has no desire to provide an option to change. But at least he's still adding features and fixing bugs. :p

I had to think for a while whether I really wanted to spend 30 bucks on something that wasn't even perfect or if I wanted to just keep using e++ for free despite certain important features being totally broken (like undo/redo)... 30 bucks, you have to think. But if you fixed the handful of things that have been in limbo for years, and asked for only 5 or 10 bucks from people, I bet you'd get some money. I know you'd get mine.
grayghost2

Post by grayghost2 »

Thank you David for your response.

I have modified all my shortcuts to various folders (Win++)
Where is/are the log files located ?

To all other readers of this thread -- open your wallet, there is no such thing as a free lunch.
It is too easy to rubbish the developer (I did !) but David owes us NOTHING.
If we donate ($20 min) it makes developing/improving Explorer++ more financially viable for the developer.
I know I cannot work for nothing.

Without Explorer++ I am stuffed with Win7
neminem

Post by neminem »

grayghost2 wrote:To all other readers of this thread -- open your wallet, there is no such thing as a free lunch.
It is too easy to rubbish the developer (I did !) but David owes us NOTHING.
If we donate ($20 min) it makes developing/improving Explorer++ more financially viable for the developer.
I know I cannot work for nothing.
That is true - but generally we give money for software in exchange for working software. Or at least for the promise of working software. My main point was that a couple years ago it seemed like this project was half-finished and not being worked on, and that seems to be even more the case now. Why would I give money to a developer who seemed to have left his project half finished and left? I'm aware it's kind of a chicken-and-eggy sort of problem, but that is still my main issue. I give money to small developer projects like this not terribly infrequently to encourage them to keep fixing bugs and working on new features... but only after it seems like that was something they were likely to be doing.

That said, I did realize just now that while people don't normally give money in exchange for unfinished software, that is kind of what a kickstarter does. Maybe he should start one? (If it gets to $n: he finishes copy/paste properly. If it gets to $m: he finishes implementing bookmarks. etc :p. (No, I don't have any idea what he could give out as incentives, but maybe he could think of something ;))

(I feel like those parts of the codebase that are finished, work quite well. I feel like this is a great file manager. I just feel like there are parts of it that are clearly not finished, have been that way for years, and I can't really tell my friends about how awesome e++ is with it in that state for that long.)
UncleScrooge

Post by UncleScrooge »

I have now checked , and the problem is also present on Win xp 32bit. I am not yet sure but i think it is related to the "documents & settings" system variable, as written in a previous reply in this topic. I don't use an english Windows version, so I patch the installation cd to get rid of this silly folder name, which Microsoft has forgotten to translate (same in Win7). Here is an easy way to see the problem:
I only use the left window and cut a sub folder from the mirrored "documents" folder, and paste it to another hdd. The target is updated, but the folder doesn't disappear from the source. I then press F5 and get a warning popup, telling me that the folder is not available. Still no updating. If I then collapse the tree and then re-open it, the updating is done. If I then do the same, but in the opposite direction, the no-updating is still in the "documents" folder, while the source in this case is updated correctly. I hope this small test can help David finding the cause of the problem. I have no reason to believe that the problem is language related. Perhaps somone with an English Windows version can confirm this.....
Truth101

Post by Truth101 »

Here is an incredibly simple solution that worked for me. It may work for you as well:
- In Windows Explorer: choose Tools, Folder Options > Click the Search tab > Check or uncheck ANY option
- Apply.
- If this solves your problem, you can revert to your original setting and the problem will remain solved.

Microsoft obfuscates this problem by instructing you to delete your profile, update your bios, disable your antivirus, reverting to a restore point, etc. If the incredibly simple solution above helps just one person avoid the Microsoft nonsense, it is well worth the time cross-posting this solution to a few popular sites.

Microsoft should have identified and solved this problem four years ago. This incredibly simple solution clearly demonstrates why Microsoft Windows Explorer should not be trusted for the management of sensitive documents for law enforcement, health care, national security and other critical industries.
grayghost2

Post by grayghost2 »

I have given up on Explorer++ until there are some fixes.
The multiple tab concept is brilliant especially on small screens
But schizophrenic refresh just got too much to bare.

Now using Windows Explorer + FileSearchEx, although the laptop screen does get busy with with 4 or more windows open.
One annoyance has been when a USB device is connected, Windows Explorer auto opens, when I double click a folder, Explorer++ also opens.
One window of explorer-anything would be enough.
Cannot live without WE for some things though. Like settings not accessible through Explorer++

Will give "Truth 101" tips a try
grayghost2

Post by grayghost2 »

• I am tracking this thread and yesterday received an email notification :?:
NUDGE info for David (if it helps) :)
- my experiment of methods and results on a clean installed Toshiba Laptop
- I had both Ex++ and WinExp open, side by side for observation.
------------------
Clean install of Win7 32 bit sp1
Installed Classic Shell Start + Classic Explorer
Explorer ++ v1.3.5 x86 (downloaded today)

------------------
Explorer++
Create a new folder in files pane + named it "_test"
New folder selected in files pane
F5 to refresh the new folders position.
- navigation pane not refreshed
- files pane refreshes
Select C: in nav pane
F5
- new folder does not refresh
- collapse C: -> expand C: ... list is refreshed
Select folder in nav-pane > F5
- nav-pane does not refresh
-----
Nav pane
select folder > delete
folder is removed from both nav pane and files pane
=====
C: drive (selected)
details pane > add new folder
custom name > is not refreshed in either nav or details panes
details pane F5
- sorts details list OK
Nav pane
- select new folder > F5 > does not refresh
- select C: > F5 > does not refresh
==========
Default WinExplorer (Classic Shell version)
Details pane add new folder > default name
- nav pane auto refreshes
- details pane does NOT auto refresh <<< is this a clue I believe Ex++ reads WinExp ?
Observe EX++
- new folder is refreshed correctly in both Ex++ nav-pane + details pane
=====
WinExp
details pane
delete the new folder
- both nav-pane + details pane are refreshed
Observe EX++
- both nav-pane + details pane are correctly refreshed
=======================
David,
I don't know if the above gives any clues with the long standing refresh problem.
I like the concept of Ex++ and the fact that it is not MS or any big-corp.
Maybe my list of methods and results above might shed some light onto resolving the refresh problem
Sometimes fresh eyes might help.
  • I have just spent 5 months trying to resolve a Mozilla browser problem (Firefox + Palemoon)
    "Add New Bookmark/Folder" grows by 2 mm with each new entry, until the dialog is wider than my screen (requires a reset of the browser) :( :cry: :evil:
    Palemoon developer has been extremely helpful even to examining the "Bookmarks" list coding. No solutions
    About 3 weeks ago I proved beyond any doubt the cause is by third party clipboard extenders when fields on the add-bookmark/folder are populated via the clipboard-extenders. (Ms Clipboard does not cause problems) I use an extender to copy a web-article title + its URL and paste from the extender to create a new bookmark AND the dialog grows in width. Frustrating but at least I now know the cause, but I do not know how to fix it. Talents way beyond me are working on it now.
Regards
Russell :)
------------------------------------
:!: FOOTNOTE
I am currently modifying my adult daughter's Dell Laptop Win8 64 bit.
I will test x64 Explorer ++ before any changes (installs) and I will report the results on this thread
grayghost2

Post by grayghost2 »

UPDATE :)

Tested Explorer++ x64 on a new Dell Win8 x64 laptop
Dell in its out-of-the box virgin state.

Refresh FAILS on brand new PC
Explorer++ v1.3.5_x64
Added new folder -> Name:= "_test"
Files pane:- did not auto refresh :(
Nav pane: did not auto refresh :(

Files pane selected -> F5 -> refreshed files pane
Nav pane selected -> F5 -> did not refresh nav pane :(
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

Sorry, I know the post I'm replying to is from a few months back, but better late than never I guess!
neminem wrote:That is true - but generally we give money for software in exchange for working software. Or at least for the promise of working software. My main point was that a couple years ago it seemed like this project was half-finished and not being worked on, and that seems to be even more the case now. Why would I give money to a developer who seemed to have left his project half finished and left?
That's half fair, but the project has been in development since 2005, and so the motivation to work on it isn't always there. The other point I'd make is that the development is generally difficult and slow. I've been doing Android development for the last year and a half, and having recently come back to Explorer++, the differences in development between the two platforms been put into sharp relief. It's also hard getting back into such a comparatively large codebase.
neminem wrote:That said, I did realize just now that while people don't normally give money in exchange for unfinished software, that is kind of what a kickstarter does. Maybe he should start one?
I've thought about it before, but I don't think it would provide long-term benefit. Even if I could raise enough money to work on it for 6 months, at the end of the 6 months, I'd be back in the same position as when I started. If you launch a kickstarter campaign, and you have a paid product, you can get a reliable stream of money even after the campaign has ended. Whereas because Explorer++ is free, I'd be back to relying on donations.
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

@grayghost

Could you run the nightly build with logging enabled:

Code: Select all

explorer++.exe -enable_logging
and then post the results.