"Open containing folder" in Visual Studio

Found a bug or something that needs fixing?
neminem

"Open containing folder" in Visual Studio

Post by neminem »

I know you don't seem to be around much anymore, but I figure I'd drop this request off anyway, in case you come back :p. Now that I'm being forced to use Win7 at work as well as home, I've been using e++ both places as well. Given that work = coding, this means I've been using e++ in an environment where most of my time is spent in MS Visual Studio windows. And VS doesn't seem to like the openinexplorer++ you added, very much.

If it were just that it didn't open the folder to the current file, that'd be annoying but liveable (though it'd be nice if it did). But after opening the folder, both VS2008 and 2010 act strangely if you hit alt for the next 20 or so seconds. During that time, VS2008 also disables the "open containing folder" command; VS2010 doesn't, but does pop up an annoying messagebox at the end stating "unable to open the folder". I looked a little into what I thought explorer might be doing to handle it, but I'm totally not an expert, and possibly you are?
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: "Open containing folder" in Visual Studio

Post by David Erceg »

Unfortunately, I can't say what the cause would be in either case. I'm certainly no expert in the matter. If I were to look into it, I'd simply research it online, but if you'd like to help out, i'm happy for you to research it :) At a guess, I would say it's communicating with Explorer over some sort of interface.
neminem

Re: "Open containing folder" in Visual Studio

Post by neminem »

Yep, looks like it's using DDE, which I don't know anything about, but that is what it is. (I asked around the xyplorer forum, as it has the same issue, and got the response back that it doesn't support DDE messages.) Also got back the workaround - that I should just create a macro to have VS launch whatever file manager, passing in the path directly, and replace the command with that macro. I had no idea VS let you modify that context menu directly, but it does, and that works great for xyplorer. For e++, of course, there doesn't seem to be a CLI parameter you can pass it to select a file (though I could probably figure out how to add one), but still, opening the folder and not bugging out is still better than opening the folder then bugging out. :p