Explorer++ leaving temporary files behind

Found a bug or something that needs fixing?
low-strung

Explorer++ leaving temporary files behind

Post by low-strung »

After running Explorer++ on Windows 7 in portable mode (always the case) and exiting, I started finding temporary files from it in one or more of the Internet Explorer cache folders. I had deliberately disabled access to IE on my system and shut off the browser under Programs and Features in the Contol Panel. Since I use a different browser and had no intention of using IE again, I had even deleted the cache folders. New ones never got created until I started using Explorer++. Neither the files nor the folders ever get deleted on exiting.

The file names are always C__Users_username_Documents_Apps_Explorer++_Explorer++_exe[1]. They have no extensions, but I just discovered today that they are image files containing the following messages that reflect my activities in Explorer++:
  • [Folder is Empty]
    [Filtering Applied]
Maybe this is by design and not a bug, but I find it surprising that these simple text messages are created as temporary image files, when they could instead appear on the status bar.
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: Explorer++ leaving temporary files behind

Post by David Erceg »

This issue is old, but for reference, Explorer++ doesn't create any temporary files for those background images. They're stored as resources within the executable and loaded that way, so if files like that are being created, that's something that's done by Windows itself.