Added 5 new issues to Github project

Found a bug or something that needs fixing?
GHL1

Added 5 new issues to Github project

Post by GHL1 »

Hi all,

I added 5 new issues to the Github project https://github.com/derceg/explorerplusplus/issues
All are reproducable in Windows 10 to which I recently switched.

These issues are about:

[1.4.0.789] Date format using "Yesterday" and "Today"
[1.4.0.789] Toolbar icon for Command Shell (cmd) not functional
[1.4.0.xxx] Latest compiled build on Github opens with DLL language mismatch message
[1.4.0.789] Date format used is hh:mm instead of formerly hh:mm:ss
[1.3.+] Font used in Explorer++ seems somehow blurry

I hope, David will be able to take care of them, as I immensely appreciate the Explorer++ and his work on it !

I have been using Explorer++ for many years on Windows 7 and my motif was the pain caused by Microsoft, when introducing this terrible file explorer with Windows 7.
In an attempt to ease my pain I tried out 10 of the most recommended file explorers for Windows 7, when I found the Explorer++, which outperformed all of them in terms of user interface, logical and intuitive user experience, decent feature richness, while not overwhelming and confusing the user with hundreds of (rarely used) features.

This is one more opportunity to saying THANK YOU, David, for this magnificent work.

May the Explorer++ also become as good on Windows 10 as it had been on Windows 7 !
tallguy297

Re: Added 5 new issues to Github project

Post by tallguy297 »

Hi GHL1,

I read your post and subsequently downloaded build 1.4.0.789 from GitHub.
I went through all your issues and I couldn't find a single problem.
Hi all,

I added 5 new issues to the Github project https://github.com/derceg/explorerplusplus/issues
All are reproducable in Windows 10 to which I recently switched.

These issues are about:

[1.4.0.xxx] Latest compiled build on Github opens with DLL language mismatch message
1) Firstly I don't mind using Yesterday & Today as apposed to today's or yesterday's date.
Although a date/time preferences option would be a handy option.

2) I didn't find a problem with the command shell (cmd).
Although if you try to use the command shell from someplace other than a directory it will not appear.

3) Date format hh:mm used instead of hh:mm:ss. Refer to point 1.

4) Font used in Explorer++ seems somehow blurry. I noticed no change since the previous version.
However maybe a scalable font option or using the system's font settings could be applied?

The current build seems to work OK.
I did not notice any difference from the previous build.
Perhaps someone could outline the changes.

Thankyou.
GHL1

Post by GHL1 »

@tallguy297:
Thank you for reviewing my report !

Shame on me...
There is a checkmark in Explorer++, allowing you to replace those weird date notation "Yesterday" by the genuine date dd.mm.yyyy if you uncheck it.
It is called "Show user-friendly dates". (In German localization: "Benutzerfreundliche Datumsanzeige".)
Did not know that "Yesterday" would be a "user-friendly" date notation...
So no bug but can be switched to a "usable" date format.
Ticket can be closed.

Indeed this is functional now !
I downloaded the Explorer again 2 days later and it worked.
Apparently the version has not been changed though.
A bit of a mystery but works and can be closed as well.

Admittedly I should have marked it "feature request" rather than "bug".
Please forgive me, but I was so frustrated when Microsoft had changed it (intentionally offering no possibility to enable the hh:mm:ss format by registry settings) and now I see that the best alternative to the MS File Exlorer, the Explorer++, had also removed it :-(

I can however still reproduce this on my PC ! (see magnified screenshot attached)
Model is a Dell XPS 13 9360 with a hires display (3200 x 1800) frunning on Windows 10.
This is my only Windows 10 machine so far, all others on Windows 7 and the resolution and quality of this display is breath-taking.
One thing I like about Windows 10 is its default font: Segoe_UI.
Looks way more modern and clear carved than default Windows 7 font.

As far as I could find in the source code, Explorer++ uses MS Shell Dlg" in setting FONT 8, "MS Shell Dlg", 400, 0, 0x1.

I am not yet skilled enough with C++ to compile the Explorer++ on my own.
But I am improving. Once I am, I may try to compile it with Segoe_UI and check how it looks then.

I did not yet find how (and if at all) it would be possible to compile the Explorer++ for showing the file timestamps in hh:mm:ss format.
In case this is just a matter of easy change in the source code, perhaps an expert could advise.

Thanks again for reviewing my posting !
Attachments
Explorer++ screenshot 4.jpg
Explorer++ screenshot 4.jpg (12.06 KiB) Viewed 8181 times
Janus

Post by Janus »

@ tallguy297 & @GHL1

The seconds selection is in
/explorer++/helper/helper.cpp:60

int iReturn2 = GetTimeFormat(LOCALE_USER_DEFAULT, LOCALE_USE_CP_ACP | TIME_NOSECONDS, localSystemTime,
NULL, TimeBuffer, SIZEOF_ARRAY(TimeBuffer));

Removing time_noseconds restores the seconds to view.
There is also time_force24hourformat if you would like to try that.

@GHL1

If you have VS2015 {VS2017/19 may work, but I do not have either of them.}, and would like, I can put an archival snapshot up.
Not my personal fork, I have a number of tweaks I have done like using void tools everything for folder/directory sizes.
I will make a plain one for you to experiment with since I removed a number of things that annoyed me.
It is/will be, a complete stand alone copy, with all support libraries included. {Thirdparty directory at project root.}

I do them this way because I do not, and cannot, have nuget, git, svn, or any other live link stuff installed.
I work with a large variety of environments, and their requirements are often contradictory.
So all of my work is self contained and portable.

If you are going to explore the source code, I would recommend you get a copy of ztree.
It is is a copy of the old dos xtree, but 32/64 bit, and supports long filenames.

Janus

P.S. I am chasing down an error where network directories do not update until you refresh them manually.
The release version has the error, but the debug version appears to work just fine.
I believe it has something to do with list/chain iterators, but I could be wrong.