Deletion refresh issue?

Found a bug or something that needs fixing?
Herbalist

Deletion refresh issue?

Post by Herbalist »

Firstly can I just say that I do appreciate your responses here David - it makes it far more worthwhile to mention things - however if you get fed up with it, stop answering :)

When I delete using ++ and even after F5 the deleted file/directory is often still visible in ++ (not in windows explorer). Any attempt to delete the file again results in a message stating the file isn't there but I guess there is some refresh issue? I should have mentioned before that I'm using win7 (64bit).

I can supply any other info if required. Regards
Herby
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: Deletion refresh issue?

Post by David Erceg »

Hi Herby,

Does this happen every time you delete a file/folder, or only occasionally? Also, does the deleted file/folder appear only in the listview or in the treeview as well (in the case of folders)?

It's strange that it would still be visible after you press F5, as the directory is enumerated again, so the listing should be completely correct.
Herbalist

Post by Herbalist »

Let me experiment on this David. I found it happens a few times but cannot recall "exactly" what happened. I'll have a go at recreating the problem and let you know. Regards

Herby
Herbalist

Post by Herbalist »

Not managed to get anything to go wrong I'm afraid. I know it happened but I know I'm having some issues with the (new) machine so it may have been part of that (intermittent lockups - hardware folk blame software, software folk blame hardware - novel :) ).

If I do find something concrete I'll post again - maybe best to ignore it for now. Regards
Herby
ajs

Post by ajs »

Hi David,
I also experienced some refreshing problems when deleting files, having to press F5 to refresh. I am using the last nightly build x64.
the problem doesn't seem to be happening everytime but it is something that happen repeatedly.
One thing I had been able to replicate all the time is this. Create a new folder.
1) If you delete it using the context menu and the mouse, the refresh is ok.
2) if you delete it from the right hand side panel using mouse or keyboard, the refresh is ok (or seems ok most of the time
3) if you select the folder from the left hand side tree and delete it using "Del" or "Shift-Del", the refresh doesn't work and I have to press F5 to refresh the screen.
Hope this help.
Herbalist

Post by Herbalist »

OK - that makes sense to me. I probably use shift-del 90%+ but because it is habit for me might not think of mentioning it!

I had one yesterday that I was about to post anyway.

Deleting a directory (shift-del) from an attached ext hdd. The directory did not go from left ribbon. f5 gave "xx is not accessible. Access is denied."

Cheers
Herby
ajs

Post by ajs »

hi Herbalist
I use Shift-Del 99.99% of the cases. What you mentioned is exactly the problem I see. If you select a folder from left tree and delete with Shift-Del, the refresh is incorrect. If you press F5 you get the "xx is not accessible. Access is denied." because the folder is no longer there. you need to select another folder and then press F5 and the tree will refresh.
I hope David can fix this soon.
Herbalist

Post by Herbalist »

Yeah - I may have underestimated slightly :)

However the issue I had originally was not solved by f5 but I've not recreated it yet!

Herby
chumley

Post by chumley »

I see this issue frequently with E++ 1.1 on Win7 32 bit. It is easy to reproduce by just experimenting with creating and deleting folders. Zip files also seem to be affected since they are treated similarly to folders.

The problem is that the tree view does not refresh when folders are created or deleted. F5 does not fix this eitehr. To get the tree view to refresh, I have to close and reopen the affected folder in the tree.

I tested the latest nightly build, and this issue still exists.

I also tested the release build of 1.1 on WinXP, and same issue there, so this issue is not specific to Win 7.
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

It sounds like you're attempting to delete a folder from the treeview while Explorer++ is in that folder. If that's the case, there will be problems. Explorer++ has a lock on any directory which it's currently in, which may prevent that directory from been deleted. Even if it is deleted, Explorer++ won't pick up the change, and won't navigate out of the folder.

The reason a dialog comes up with "xx is not accessible. Access is denied." after you refresh is because refreshing the directory releases the lock on it, which allows Windows to delete the folder. You can see similar behaviour if you attempt to delete the current directory from the tree, and then navigate to another folder. As soon as the folder changes, the original directory will be deleted.

Relatively speaking, it's hard to fix, since it involves changing how directories are monitored.