TortoiseSVN not contained in context menu (but Git+CVS are)

Found a bug or something that needs fixing?
sun

TortoiseSVN not contained in context menu (but Git+CVS are)

Post by sun »

I've installed

- TortoiseGit 1.6.5.0 64bit
- TortoiseCVS 1.12.5 32bit (no 64bit available)
- TortoiseSVN 1.6.15 64bit
- custom shell scripts bound to folders/directories

and all of them show up in the context menu when right-clicking on a folder -- except TortoiseSVN.

However, TortoiseSVN is properly installed, since it shows up in regular Windows Explorer.

I already tried rebooting, completely uninstalling and re-installing TortoiseSVN, aso. without any luck.

Note: This is unrelated to the Missing context menu when clicking on free space within a folder issue.
ajs

Re: TortoiseSVN not contained in context menu (but Git+CVS are)

Post by ajs »

Hi Sun,
it is probably of not much help for you, but on my computer the TortoiseSVN context menu works fine with E++ (win7 64 bit).
sun

Post by sun »

Odd. I'm on the same platform like you.

Thanks for letting me know. It's important for finding the actual cause.

- Are you running the latest stable (1.2) or a custom later build?
- Do you also have TortoiseGit and TortoiseCVS installed?

I guess I'll try next whether uninstalling TortoiseCVS changes anything (as it's the only 32bit program in this stack).
neminem

Post by neminem »

Yeah, I'm also on win7 x64, and tortoiseSVN shows up fine on folders. Though I will mention that WinZip and WinRar both add context menu items to files, stuff like "zip", "zip here", etc... those don't show up in e++ (but do in native win explorer). The actions specific to their respective compressed file types (unzip, etc.) do, though. I've been meaning to at least look into why, sometime, but as usual, never remember to when I'm actually around and have free time.

I have no problem with tortoiseSVN, though. Weird.
ajs

Post by ajs »

sun wrote:Odd. I'm on the same platform like you.

Thanks for letting me know. It's important for finding the actual cause.

- Are you running the latest stable (1.2) or a custom later build?
- Do you also have TortoiseGit and TortoiseCVS installed?

I guess I'll try next whether uninstalling TortoiseCVS changes anything (as it's the only 32bit program in this stack).
I am running a custom build version. After v1.2 the right-click menu has been reworked, and if you are using v1.2 it may be the reason why you are not seeing tortoiseSVN. I don't want to say something wrong, but I think twinsen posted a similar problem a few months ago.

I don't have either TortoiseCVS or TortoiseGit installed, but don't think that it the cause of the problem.
sun

Post by sun »

Tried a couple of things, but I'm still not getting TortoiseSVN in the context menu. It properly works in Windows Explorer. Other Tortoise* and other shell extension handlers (WinRAR, Dropbox, etc) appear to be working fine in E++. Also checked ShellExView to see whether it yields anything obvious.

@David once mentioned that he's not sure how to retrieve the TortoiseSVN context menu programmatically. However, that was ~1 year ago, and also before the general context menu improvement landed, so I don't think it's still related.

I'm a bit confused why it works for others but not for me...
rdromance

Post by rdromance »

I have no problem with TortoiseSVN on a windows 7 64bit with either 1.2 or 1.3.0.261.
sun

Post by sun »

D'oh! OK, now I'm feeling extremely stupid.

In TortoiseSVN's settings, there's a checkbox titling "Show overlays and context menu only in explorer"...

For any reason, that option was enabled all the time and I completely overlooked it (well, "explorer"...) Disabling it makes TortoiseSVN work in Explorer++ like it should.

I'm terribly sorry for the noise.

P.S.: Completely unrelated to this issue and Explorer++, at some point in my re-installation debugging quest, all Tortoise* icon overlays stopped working; if you run into this issue, this tweak might help you.