Annoying lag etc...

Found a bug or something that needs fixing?
altair

Annoying lag etc...

Post by altair »

Hey, i've just found this nice program, but im very disappointed of the lag. Almost everytime when I open a folder, the entire program freezes for some seconds, making impossible to scroll or click on anything. Btw I've w7 32bit. And my other problem is if I set "group by" -> "type" for Computer(better seeing through drives and things), then everything will be grouped and when I return to Computer it changes to group by name. So I want to have "Group by type" in "Computer" and "Sort by Name" in anywhere else. I also like the feature to be able to see folder sizes(always wanted to be able to do that!!!!LOVED IT!!), but it should be toggleable by one click or something imo, coz it makes my pc slow. I would gladly replace win explorer with explorer++ if anyone could fix these problems. Thanks
twinsen

Re: Annoying lag etc...

Post by twinsen »

I get annoying lag when opening certain large directories on win7 32bit too.
Its directories containing a large amount of small files and subdirectories (maybe >15gigs of tiny files).
I think its just the shear number of small files + subdirectories that is causing it. I haven't been able to reproduce it on another computer though.

Does anyone else have a really large codebase with lots of small files that causes explorer++ to lag?
jefftimlin

Post by jefftimlin »

I don't get the lag so much, but I definitely have the problem you mentioned about the "Group by -> Type". If I set it to group by type, then when selecting "Computer" it reverts to grouping by Name. I set it back to group by Type for the Computer directory and click away to other directories and it stays grouping by Type, but when clicking back on Computer again it reverts back to grouping by Name.
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

I'll try to explain why grouping by type reverts to name when switching to the computer folder:
  • The sort/group types are based off the columns that are shown for a particular folder. So, if you show the name and type columns, then you can sort/group by name or type.
  • The columns that can be shown are based on the type of the folder. For example, the recycle bin has different columns (e.g. date deleted, original location), as compared to other folders.
  • Although the computer folder has a column named type, because of how I implemented it a while back, it's actually a different column from the regular type column.
  • When you change folders, the sort/group type will stay the same, provided the column you're sorting/grouping by is in the set of available columns for that folder.
  • Because the type column is different for the computer folder, when you browse from something like C:\ to computer, the type column is not recognized as been in the available column set.
  • So, the group type is changed to the first available type (usually name).
Hopefully that helps a little when it comes to understanding why it's happening. I've made a note to fix it.
lmuliolis

Post by lmuliolis »

I have always seen this lag with Explorer++ -- I am still seeing it on Windows 10 - but even with the lag I still prefer it over the native explorer in Windows.