Renamed file still known under old name

Found a bug or something that needs fixing?
PietO

Renamed file still known under old name

Post by PietO »

Explorer nightly build: 14/04/2011 2:31:26:

Sometimes:
After renaming a file the new name is shown without a refresh. However, clicking on the the new name (open-function), the old-file name is launched is the associated application.

E.g. the excel file: XXX.xls is renamed to XXX.tmp by using right-click rename. Clicking on the new file name XXX.tmp lauches EXCEL with file XXX.xls which does not exist. A refresh corrects this behaviour.

One way of provoking this situation is to:
1. open XXX.xls in Excel
2. use rename in Explorer++ to rename: file is busy thus refused
3. close Excel (XXX.xls is not busy)
4. use rename in Explorer++ XXX.xls to XXX.tmp.
5. Explorer++ shows wrong file type in filetype column, but correct filename and filetype in the name column.
6. click on XXX.tmp and Excel will open with not existing file

Possibly other ways to get into this situation, this should be sufficient.
twinsen

Re: Renamed file still known under old name

Post by twinsen »

Is this the same issue as http://www.explorerplusplus.com/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=679
?
If so I find it very annoying too.
You can read David's good explanation to why it happens.

I'll try your steps when I have access to excel, it would be great to have an easy way to reproduce the bug. I wanted to fix it but I could not reproduce it on demand so I'd never know if it was fixed.
PietO

Re: Renamed file still known under old name

Post by PietO »

twinsen wrote:Is this the same issue as http://www.explorerplusplus.com/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=679
?
If so I find it very annoying too.
You can read David's good explanation to why it happens.
Yes, looks like the same problem. Could reproduce this yesterday a number of times, but today not anymore!! I will have to find a consistent way (independent of speed or ...) to demonstrate the effect. If it succeeds, i will make a snapshot of the window to demonstrate the effect.