undo function

Found a bug or something that needs fixing?
maxh666

undo function

Post by maxh666 »

yesterday,I found the Explorer++,I like it very much!
I found a problem when I used it,the undo .
when I drag a file to a new folder, I can't undo it. the undo menu is gray.
when I rename a filename ,I can undo it
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: undo function

Post by David Erceg »

Undo only works with rename operations currently; I plan on extending it to other operations in a future version.
neminem

Post by neminem »

I am also bumping this thread, because, as I just mentioned, work is forcing me onto Win7 in a couple weeks, and this is the other piece of functionality lacking in e++ that I expect will nag at me constantly. I claim that while having semifunctional file undo/redo would be understandable for something that's still in beta... e++ has been around for years now, and this is pretty core functionality to a file manager :p.

That said, I would say, until you do get around to adding real support for both undoing and redoing, at the least, moves, copies and deletes (and yes, I see exactly in the source where undoing those operations just silently succeed without changing anything)... until then, I feel like it would actually be better just not having an undo/redo stack at all, or at least not making it UI-visible. Cause right now, whenever I accidentally delete a file and want to undo it, I hit ctrl-z without thinking, and now I have two problems: not only are the files still deleted, but also, somewhere on my hard drive, a file that I had renamed at some unknown time in the past got un-renamed, and I have no idea which file or what it changed to.

I'd much rather see working undo and redo, though. (On that note, when you do get around to fixing it, a reminder also that it should say not only what sort of operation is being undone, but also preferably at least a hint as to what file(s) are on the stack. Which, I note, native explorer doesn't do, and that's always bugged me also. But at least it has something. :p)
chriddy

Post by chriddy »

I agree. Undo for all file operations is a very important feature and would be greatly appreciated!
ASD

Post by ASD »

Hi, David.
Undo of rename operations is work (by context menus of right-click.). But, Ctrl+Z of shortcut keys doesn't work.
Please fix it!
basketofminks

Post by basketofminks »

Six years later and still no undo move function.
mhoogveld

Post by mhoogveld »

Explorer++ is quite a great replacement for Windows Explorer and I have used it for a good few weeks now.

Just as with Windows Explorer, I sometimes have a twitch where I accidentally pick up a file/folder and drag it into another folder, not having a clue exactly what file I just moved... An easy "Undo" would quickly solve this issue, but alas...
Although this can't be considered data-loss, this is information-loss (and highly annoying)
I would classify this as an important feature for this reason.

If someone finds time to work on this project, please consider working on this :)
Zandro

Post by Zandro »

If move functionality is absent, what actions were my "failing" ctrl+z and Edit menu attempts actually taking, renames? Of what files long past handling? I may never find out, until something breaks. A status bar preview of the Undo menu item's action target would be very helpful.