Nightly build notifications & Patch integration

Discuss development issues and submit patches here
shootist

Nightly build notifications & Patch integration

Post by shootist »

OK I'm new to this wonderful program.
I have been downloading the nightly builds almost every day looking for a newer nightly build from 1/15/2011 and as far as I can see when Windows ask to overwrite the file is that the date and time are the same.

Is there a forum that someone posts in to say there is a new nightly build? Which one?

Patch integration

All these patches I see are not new builds of Explorer++ but add ons to it. Just how do I integrate this patches into the EXE of Explorer++. Do I need a program to decompile the EXE then intergrate the patch and then recompile it. I've done this with a program called Classic Shell. But that was only for some minor changes to the setting of the program.

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum.
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: Nightly build notifications & Patch integration

Post by David Erceg »

Sorry about the lack of nightly builds recently. I reinstalled Windows a couple of days ago, and haven't gotten round to setting the scheduled task back up. I'll do it today, which means there should be a nightly build within a few hours. There's no forum nightly builds are announced in, but there should be one every day.

About the patches, you need to apply them against the source. You can then compile Explorer++ with Visual Studio 2010 (I'm not sure if it's possible with the Express version however).
ajs

Post by ajs »

As for announcing new features, I think it would be good to open a new section of the forum called "implemented features". Whenever a new commit is done, we could add a post which briefly explains what is new. What do you think David?
neminem

Post by neminem »

Heh, seems slightly weird to have a whole forum for what would basically just be commit notes... seems like it'd make more sense to just make sure to explain when commits mean new working features in the commit notes? (I've been checking periodically for whether there's a new version by checking the svn logs - even if the daily build script is running, no reason to do anything if nothing's actually changed except the version number. :p)

(And I suppose maybe have an rss feed on the subversion logs, if people wanted push updates rather than checking for them.)
ajs

Post by ajs »

neminem wrote:Heh, seems slightly weird to have a whole forum for what would basically just be commit notes... seems like it'd make more sense to just make sure to explain when commits mean new working features in the commit notes? (I've been checking periodically for whether there's a new version by checking the svn logs - even if the daily build script is running, no reason to do anything if nothing's actually changed except the version number. :p)

(And I suppose maybe have an rss feed on the subversion logs, if people wanted push updates rather than checking for them.)
The reason to have a section on the forum for this is that not every user checks the svn repository for the commit notes. I guess most of the users just check this website for information and updates.
So IHMO a brief message (which could be just a copy of the commit notes) would be helpful
shootist

Post by shootist »

ajs wrote: The reason to have a section on the forum for this is that not every user checks the svn repository for the commit notes. I guess most of the users just check this website for information and updates.
So IHMO a brief message (which could be just a copy of the commit notes) would be helpful
That would be nice. It could be here in the development forum.
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

Ok, I've just created a sticky for announcing new features/bug fixes. See http://www.explorerplusplus.com/forum/v ... ?f=7&t=676