Drive Toolbar Improvements

Discuss development issues and submit patches here
twinsen

Drive Toolbar Improvements

Post by twinsen »

I found the drive toolbar not that useful, because when I plug in removable media the volume label is the most important thing to know, whereas only the drive letters are displayed.
This displays the volume label in brackets, and it correctly updates when you remove or plug in removable media.
I also prefer opening the drive in a new tab, so I made that the default (you can still right click to open in the same tab).

* Exe: Explorer++_drive_toolbar_mod.7z http://members.iinet.net.au/~bertdb/rya ... bar_mod.7z
* Src: Explorer++_drive_toolbar_1.2_changed_files.7z http://members.iinet.net.au/~bertdb/rya ... d_files.7z

I haven't created a patch yet, but you can diff the files with 1.2 to see the changes.
ajs

Re: Drive Toolbar Improvements

Post by ajs »

Hi twinsen,
I have started merging your changes with mines.
I have merged your changes for the address bar filter as they are. I didn't check them, I will let David take care of that.

Related to "drives toolbar", your changes are good, but I think they should be conditional to options the user can set. Some users may like to have just the drive letter without label to save space, as well as they may not like to open a new tab every time the drive letter is clicked.
I am going to make the following changes:
1) add option checkbox to choose between "display drive names" or not
2) add option checkbox to choose between "open drive in new tab" or not.
Once I am done, I will post the update patch here.

One more thing, related to development. I see from your files you are developing against version 1.2
I think it would be more advisable to always develop against the last commit made by David. Things get changes at every commit, so merging changes against older version may require more time (for example when some code is moved to another file, like the changes for the drives toolbar for example). I guess David is quite busy, so the easier we make the task for him, the better and quicker commits.
ajs

Post by ajs »

Hi David,
here is the patch of twinsen integrated with my previous patches. I also added the options I mentioned in the post above (Options->Tabs and Toolbars -> Drives toolbar) and fixed the refresh/update of the volume label when a drive label is changed.

The patch is against commit 156. It includes all my previous not yet committed patches and the patch from twinsen about the filter in the address bar (see http://www.explorerplusplus.com/forum/v ... ?f=7&t=608). I haven't checked the code for the address bar filter patch, just merged it in and it works fine. Anyhow when you merge everything is give it a look.

EDIT: previous patch file was incorrect. Attachment updated.
Attachments
patch_06__v156.zip
(40.89 KiB) Downloaded 597 times
Last edited by ajs on Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twinsen

Post by twinsen »

OK, I'll move my development to the most current.
I was planning on waiting till the Address Bar Filter changes merged/committed before I apply the next changes and make the next patch. That way each can be separate, reviewed in isolation and don't have to be cumulative. Its a bit tricky to tell what change was for which feature/bug in a single big patch.
I've finished most of the important changes I wanted to do so I can start using Explorer++ all the time. There is still a few less urgent things I want to fix. And I'll make sure I do a proper patch for those :)

Thanks for adding the options and the refresh when volume label changes fix.
twinsen

Error applying patch to v156

Post by twinsen »

Copied patch_06__v156.patch to trunk\Explorer++
Right click patch file.
Select "TortoiseSVN\Apply patch..."
Right click "File patches" window.
Click "Patch all".
Everything went fine except got error for Explorer++.rc:
(see attached)

Could you post Explorer++.rc after your patch?
I tried manually applying the diffs for that file, but it was taking a bit too long.
Attachments
rc_error.png (6.01 KiB) Viewed 14241 times
ajs

Re: Error applying patch to v156

Post by ajs »

twinsen wrote:Copied patch_06__v156.patch to trunk\Explorer++
Right click patch file.
Select "TortoiseSVN\Apply patch..."
Right click "File patches" window.
Click "Patch all".
Everything went fine except got error for Explorer++.rc:
(see attached)

Could you post Explorer++.rc after your patch?
I tried manually applying the diffs for that file, but it was taking a bit too long.
Hi Twinsen,
sorry, the previous patch file was incorrect.
I found I made a mistake in the process of creating patches, which caused the path of the files to be stored incorrectly.
I have updated the patch file in my previous post. Download it and try again. This time should work ok (I personally tried on my computer)
ajs

Post by ajs »

twinsen wrote:That way each can be separate, reviewed in isolation and don't have to be cumulative. Its a bit tricky to tell what change was for which feature/bug in a single big patch.
yes, I agree. when there are several changes in one patch it gets difficult do understand what is for what.
since now we have a few pending changes to be committed, I am planning to do this:
1) finish to merge your changes with mine
2) create a "summary" post for David, where I list the changes which are pending and listing the different posts where the patches were first updated.
This way David should have an easier job to merge everything in.
twinsen

Post by twinsen »

It still had an error for Explorer++.rc
I finished manually applying the diffs for that file.
From the error message it looks like it was somehow 1 line out. Afterwards while reviewing the diffs I had made, there was a strange character.
In Explorer++.rc revision 156 on line 10 after "afxres.h" there is an 0D 0D 0A instead of 0D 0A. This may have confused the patching process into getting the line numbers wrong. Each of my text editors interpret it differently, some inserting an extra line, some not.

Here are some files if people have trouble applying the patch:
* Explorer++.rc - If you have no other rc changes, you can just use this file
* patch_06__v156_no_rc.patch - This is the original patch with the rc file removed (works fine)
* patch_06__v156_rc_fix.patch - This applies the changes to the rc file only.
Attachments
patch06_rc_merge_fix.7z
(54.39 KiB) Downloaded 602 times
ajs

Post by ajs »

Updated patch against commit 159.
This patch includes only the changes for this function, without any another change made.
There are two separate patches:
1) patch 06A: address bar filter, as submitted by twinsen, with minor minor changes
2) patch 06B: drives toolbar improvement, as submitted by twinsen + the additional changes made by me. This also includes the updates made at previous patch_10__v156 for the use of the drive type instead of the drive letter.

Patch 06A has been updated, so the old patch here has been removed. See further messages on this same thread for the new patch against commit 163

Patch 06B has been updated as well, so the old patch here has been removed. See further messages on this same thread for the new patch against commit 163
Last edited by ajs on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
twinsen

Post by twinsen »

On another computer I had 13 drives, which made the drive labels take up a bit too much room.
I might try it to with just DVDDrives and usb sticks (removable media), since they are the ones where the label means more than the letter.
Also maybe the ability to hide some drives I never use. There are some network drives and of course the a:\ that I don't care about.